GET YOUR PARTY ON: This summer's coolest party and music gig website with all the hottest local entertainment news!

VOTE AND WIN: You could win an iPad Mini by voting for your favourite local celeb in the Channel24 Awards!

Arno Carstens denies drunk driving

2012-09-21 09:23
 
arno carstens
Cape Town - South African singer Arno Carstens has pleaded not guilty to charges of drunk driving in the Cape Town Magistrate's Court on Thursday, reports Volksblad.

After being arrested on 19 December 2010 in Tamboerskloof for drunken driving, the singer faces charges of driving under the influence and having a blood-alcohol level of 0,2g/100 ml blood.

The state built their case against Carstens, claiming that he was caught driving under the influence and having a blood-alcohol level higher than the legal limit.

Constable Zuko Sizani was called as the state's witness and testified that he was present during the patrol when he saw a black Mercedes-Benz in Warren Street. He testified that the car had run a stop sign and failed to indicate when turning into a street.

Blood sample

"We followed the car and saw that the driver was going faster and then slower," Sizani told the court. He also said that they pulled him over in Strand Street to ask him if he had been drinking.

"He denied it," Sizani recalled.

The constable also claims that Carstens smelt of alcohol and that he was unstable when exiting his car. He was then taken to a hospital for a blood sample to be taken.

Carstens' lawyer Milton de la Harpe asked Sizani if a test was done on the scene to establish if he was under the influence of alcohol. Sizani could not provide a definite answer.

De la Harpe also wanted to know why Carstens was not taken to a district surgeon. Zisani could not answer the question.

Case postponed

His lawyer indicated that Sizani's original statement never made any mention to Carstens smelling of alcohol or being unstable on his feet. Again Sizani could not answer the question.

De la Harpe told the court that his client will testify that he was driving his Mercedes-Benz in Strandstraat and that he was stopped by the police, but will deny all the other charges against him.

The hearing has been postponed to January 2013.

NEXT ON CHANNEL24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
12 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
 

Recent Gossip

It's up to you to decide who took the best South African belfie. Vote now and you could win a prize! Read More »

Who took the best selfie for 2014? It's up to you to decide. Here are the nominees for the top 5 best local celebrity selfies for the year. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.