Channel24 interviews SA director, Oliver Schmitz, about his new film, Shepherds and Butchers

Dr Luke has refuted allegations that he abused Kesha by "pressuring" her into starving herself

Bieber assault charge dropped over limo incident

2014-09-08 18:59

Toronto - Prosecutors said on Monday they have dropped an assault charge against Canadian pop star Justin Bieber in connection with an incident involving a Toronto limousine driver.

The withdrawn charge stemmed from an early-morning incident late last December, when Bieber and five other people were picked up by a limousine from a Toronto nightclub. Police alleged Bieber, 20, hit the limo driver several times on the back of the head. The charge made headlines just days after Bieber was arrested in Miami on street-racing and other charges.

Prosecutors said the assault charge was withdrawn because there was no reasonable prospect of conviction.

"It was the right decision based on the evidence and we're pleased," said Brian Greenspan, Bieber's lawyer. "It's our belief that no one assaulted the driver."

Greenspan said the withdrawal of the charge follows a thorough review of the evidence by a responsible prosecutor. Bieber is relieved and ready to move on with his career with one less diversion, Greenspan said.

Bieber is due in an Ontario court 29 September to fight new charges.

Police said last week that Bieber had been arrested Aug. 29 on charges of dangerous driving and assault following a collision between a minivan and an ATV that led to a fight with a photographer. Greenspan said Bieber was near his home town of Stratford, Ontario, on a "peaceful retreat" with actress/singer Selena Gomez that "was unfortunately disrupted by the unwelcome presence of the paparazzi".

Police said there were no injuries as a result of the collision, but could not say whether there were any injuries from the altercation.

Bieber had earlier been photographed on an ATV vehicle with Gomez, his on-and-off again girlfriend.

Just days before the Ontario incident, Bieber's car was hit from behind by a vehicle driven by a photographer in Hollywood. Bieber later tweeted: "I don't have a problem with Paparazzi but when they act recklessly they put us all in danger."

Last month, Bieber pleaded guilty to misdemeanour charges of careless driving and resisting arrest seven months after his arrest in Miami Beach for what police initially alleged was an illegal street drag race. In a plea bargain, he agreed to an anger management course, a $500 fine and a $50,000 charitable contribution.

In July, Bieber pleaded no contest to a misdemeanour vandalism charge for tossing eggs at a neighbour's house in Los Angeles. He agreed to pay more than $80 000 in damages, meet a number of other conditions and was sentenced to two years' probation.

Bieber catapulted to fame at age 15, and then earned nominations for two Grammy Awards for his 2010 full-length album debut My World 2.0. Sales of his latest records have fallen off.

Read more on:    justin bieber  |  canada  |  celebrities  |  music
NEXT ON CHANNEL24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Recent Gossip

Miley Cyrus just got vocal about her relationship with Liam Hemsworth and it’s super-cute. Read More »

Dakota and Elle Fanning's parents are divorcing after 27 years of marriage. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.