Los Angeles - The Los Angeles County district attorney's office declined on Thursday to file felony charges against Sean 'Diddy' Combs for a confrontation last month at the University of California, Los Angeles, where his son plays football.
District attorney spokesperson Ricardo Santiago said the office decided instead to turn the case over to the Los Angeles city attorney's office, which could file lesser misdemeanour charges.
No charges have been brought against the 45-year-old hip-hop mogul for the confrontation at UCLA's athletic facilities in which police said he wielded a piece of weight-room equipment called a kettlebell.
The Bad Boy for Life rapper said he was defending himself and his son.
He was arrested for investigation of assault with a deadly weapon, battery and making terrorist threats. He posted bail and was released from jail hours after he was taken into custody.
"We are thankful that the district attorney rejected felony charges in this matter," defence lawyer Mark Geragos said. "This case never should have been part of the criminal justice system to begin with."
Frank Mateljan, a spokesperson for the city attorney, confirmed his office would review the case.
UCLA officials have said little about the confrontation except that no one was seriously hurt. A UCLA spokesperson said the school had no comment on the district attorney's decision.
"This is an unfortunate incident for all parties involved," head football coach Jim Mora said shortly after Combs was arrested.
Combs' son Justin Combs is a redshirt junior defensive back on the UCLA football team, which has been working out on campus. He has played in just a handful of games in his three years with the team.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
Kim Kardashian West is reportedly feeling ''more positive'' about the future after she was robbed at gunpoint in Paris earlier this month. Read More »
Rihanna and Missy Elliot have shared heartfelt messages about backup dancer Shirlene Quigley, who went missing. Read More »
10 epic pics.
All the deets.
South AfricaCity Press
Johannesburg CBDResourcing Solutions
HousesR 1 750 000
HousesR 3 300 000
HousesR 1 200 000