MultiChoice announced that it will be lowering monthly DStv subscription fees in several African countries

An anonymous caller filed a report against Adam Levine for abusing his wife and 4-week-old daughter

Suspended DJ Sbu apologises, says he could run the SABC

2015-03-18 16:00

Cape Town - Metro FM Sibusiso "DJ Sbu" Leope has apologised for advertising his energy drink MoFaya at the Metro FM Awards last month.

The suspended DJ added that he was "in love" with the organisation and had the "capacity to run it".

#FaithBracelet #MoFayaLifestyle

A photo posted by #MoFayaLifestyle (@djsbu_) on

According to City Press, Leope was addressing the media at a press conference held at the National African Federated Chamber of Commence and Industry’s offices in Rivonia, north of Joburg on Tuesday.

Although he "hadn’t had the opportunity to apologise to the broadcaster and the station", Leope said he was apologising through the media because they broke the news about his suspension to him.

At the Metro FM event, he said, he saw other people promoting clothing brands such as Gucci and Louis Vuitton, which they were wearing on the same day of the event.

"I took advantage and used the opportunity to promote my own brand,"  he said, adding that it was unfair that no action was taken against those attendees.

He also stated that if his name was not included in the new line-up, which will be announced in two weeks’ time, he would respect the SABC’s decision. "All I know is that one day I will complete my MBA. It doesn’t matter how long it will take me," he said.

#EntrepreneurAtWork #YouCantStopMyGo #Ntofontofo #MoFaya #WarehouseShandis

A video posted by #MoFayaLifestyle (@djsbu_) on

"I would like to come back and run the SABC. I believe I have the capacity to run the organisation on a strategic level."

Leope said he has had five different offers from other organisations, but he had turned down all of them. "I’m not interested in other platforms. I’m only interested in the SABC. I’m in love with the organisation," he said.

Leope acknowledged that SABC had made him who he is today.

"The SABC discovered my talent when I was only 21. Since then I have been loyal to the brand," he said.

He admitted that not being part of the SABC and Metro FM hurt him.

"I used the platform to connect with my fans. I miss my listeners."

At the moment Leope is not allowed to enter the SABC premises and his suspension is still under investigation.

Asked if he would go back to SABC, if he was given a second chance, he quickly responded: "Yes! It’s not about money but I just believe in the organisation."

Since Leope’s suspension from the SABC, he has been making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

He was also accused of promoting his energy drink at the funeral of rapper funeral, Nkululeko "Flabba" Habedi. He strongly denied the accusations.

"I went there to bury my friend. Someone has a person vendetta against me. I understand that not everyone likes me," he said.

I CAN & I WILL #EndOfStory

A photo posted by #MoFayaLifestyle (@djsbu_) on

According to media reports, the DJ has been marketing his energy drink by calling radio stations pretending to be callers then punting his drink.

"I phoned a radio station last week because they were discussing energy drinks. As someone who also has an energy drink brand. I also wanted to share my views," he said.

He denied that he phoned pretending to be someone else.

"I felt so disrespected because when they realised it was me the host hung up," said irritated Leope.

He also cleared up rumours that he refused to stand-in for his fellow colleague, Thabo "T-Bo Touch" Molefe.

"I was called in exactly at 3pm, when the show had already started. I was in the middle of a meeting. There was no way I was going to make it to the Metro FM studios in time," he said.

"It’s nothing new being attacked. I have been in this game for many years and I stand for truth," he added.

In addition to the energy drink Leope will also be launching a range of toilet paper and bread.

Read more on:    dj sbu  |  celebrities  |  music publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Recent Gossip

CCTV footage of Kim Kardashian West's alleged armed robbers has surfaced online, showing them approaching and leaving her apartment building. Read More »

Cindy Crawford’s 15-year-old daughter is the spitting image of her model mom in the new issue of Interview magazine. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.