Kate Middleton made a grand entrance wearing one of Princess Diana's favourite tiaras - the Cambridge Lover’s Knot

Big Concerts announced that Justin Bieber will be returning to South Africa as part of his latest world tour!

A jury has convicted Kendall Jenner's alleged stalker for trespassing

2016-10-25 10:03
 

Los Angeles — A jury on Monday acquitted a man of stalking model and reality TV star Kendall Jenner and convicted him of trespassing at her secluded Hollywood Hills home.

The jury of seven women and five men returned the verdict against Shavaughn McKenzie after a seven-day trial in which Jenner described her fear at finding McKenzie lurking in her driveway and banging on her car window in August.

A defense attorney had urged jurors to reject the stalking charge, saying there was no evidence showing McKenzie intended to cause Jenner fear.

McKenzie is scheduled to be sentenced on 10 November on the misdemeanor trespassing charge. He could face up to six months in jail but will likely be released because of credits for good behavior.

His attorney Taylor Shramo said he hopes to secure mental health treatment for McKenzie, a Florida native who travelled from Georgia to Los Angeles last year and started hanging around outside Jenner's former home.

Deputy City Attorney Alex Perez said in court that McKenzie, 25, had tracked Jenner's whereabouts for 15 months before his arrest. He noted that McKenzie has never said how he learned that Jenner had moved to the hilltop home tucked away from the street and accessible only after driving through a 13-foot gate.

Perez said he was disappointed by the verdict and hoped McKenzie would receive treatment.

Perez said McKenzie followed Jenner's car onto the property and only left after she backed out of the driveway and three of her friends arrived to detain McKenzie until police arrived.

"I've never been so scared in my life," the 20-year-old Jenner testified, saying she had recognised McKenzie as the same man who twice accosted her while she was driving outside her former home.

Jenner said his refusal to leave her Hollywood Hills property prompted her to make panicked calls to friends for help.

"I definitely don't feel safe in my own house anymore," she testified.

Jenner obtained a civil restraining order on 13 October that requires McKenzie to stay away from her for five years.

A forensic psychiatrist hired to evaluate McKenzie testified that he was delusional and his efforts to locate Jenner were part of his mental illness.

McKenzie's mother June Osavio told jurors she repeatedly tried to get help for her son, but he refused to take his medications. He disappeared in March 2015 after they moved to Georgia, she said.

Osavio called the verdict fair.

Read more on:    kendall jenner  |  celebrities

inside channel 24

NEXT ON CHANNELX
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.