Spacey’s house of cards falls

2017-11-05 06:07
 

Los Angeles - First, it was movie mogul Harvey Weinstein who was exposed for his predatory sexual behaviour against vulnerable women in Hollywood. Then it was newsman wunderkind Mark Halperin, who was exposed after four women levelled allegations of sexual harassment against him.

Now the spotlight has fallen on Kevin Spacey after actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of making an unwelcome sexual advance towards him when he was just 14 years old. As a result, streaming network Netflix announced this week that it would cease working with Spacey on its show House of Cards and is also declining to release a film starring the actor, who has been accused of inappropriate sexual behaviour.

Describing what happened more than 30 years ago, Rapp said: “He [Spacey] was kind of in high seduction mode and gave me his phone number and asked me to call him.”

The former student, now 48, said Spacey said: “I want to see you, and I want you to come to my apartment. He said he’d always been really drawn to me at the acting classes but had stayed away because I was 12.”

The accuser said he was thrilled by the proposition and called Spacey the very next day.

“I went and saw him at an apartment he was renting on the Upper West Side. He had a black Labrador named Snake,” he said. “He might have been walking that dog in Central Park when we bumped into him that night. We started a sexual relationship that first visit, which mostly involved me [expletive] him.”

Since then, five more men came forward in recent days to accuse Spacey of sexual misconduct. Some of the accusations match the time line of when he was an artistic director from 2004 to 2015 at the Old Vic theatre in London, which said it was “deeply dismayed” to hear of the allegations.

Mexican actor Roberto Cavazos revealed he had a “couple of unpleasant” encounters with Spacey at the Old Vic theatre, saying that all it took was “a male under 30 to make Spacey feel free to touch us”.

Spacey, now 58, said he couldn’t remember the encounter with Rapp, but issued a statement on Sunday saying: “If I did behave as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behaviour.” Spacey also came out as gay in the apology.

Spacey claims he has no memory of the incident, but issued an apology and claimed if it did happen it was because he was drunk.

The three men from industries that have a substantial influence on the world’s culture, allegedly grabbed and groped vulnerable women, men or children.

Spacey’s response didn’t impress comedian Rosie O’Donnell. She tweeted to Spacey on Monday: “u don’t remember the incident — 30 years ago? — [expletive] u Kevin — like Harvey we all knew about u — I hope more men come forward.”

Like Harvey, she says, they “all knew”. And?

Production on House of Cards, in which the Oscar-winning Spacey plays US president Frank Underwood, had already been suspended on Tuesday.

In a statement, the company said: “Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey. We will continue to work with MRC [production company Media Rights Capital] during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show.

“We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film Gore, which was in post-production, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey.”

Gore is a biopic based on the life of writer Gore Vidal, directed by Michael Hoffman.

Netflix had previously announced it was ending the Emmy-nominated House of Cards at the conclusion of its upcoming sixth season amid sexual allegations against Spacey. – Staff reporter, Reuters, AFP and The Washington Post

NEXT ON CHANNELX
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.