The 66th annual Cannes film festival bowed out on Sunday, 26 May with some of Hollywood's most-loved celebrities taking to the red carpet for the closing awards ceremony at the prestigious event. The preceding week was also filled with the cream of Hollywood and European cinema premiering their new films.
Cannes - Some of the movie world's best known and most influential actors, writers and directors have been on the French Riviera for the past 11 days for the 66th Cannes Film Festival.
Here is a selection of some of the most memorable quotes from the film fest which wrapped on 26 May:
"You're all welcome to look, but you can't unring that bell"
- Matt Damon's warning to film crew before he disrobed for scenes in bed with Michael Douglas in Steven Soderbergh's flamboyant Liberace biopic "Behind the Candelabra" in which he plays the entertainer's lover Scott Thorson.
"I'm absolutely taking a break. I don't know how extended it's going to be... it's been a good run."
- Director and screenwriter Steven Soderbergh, who earlier said he was going to retire, on his plans for the future
"It's so 19th century."
- Tilda Swinton as a centuries-old vampire in Only Lovers Left Alive by Jim Jarmusch on hunting and killing humans for blood.
"Setting alight to a human being's penis, that's alright, but killing a dog, that's right out of order."
- British newspaper film critic Peter Bradshaw, referring to the graphic violence in Mexican film Heli. Bradshaw was a member of the jury that awarded the ironic Palm Dog prize for best canine performance to a blind poodle in Behind the Candelabra.
"The film is going to be seen in China. I got the authorisation before coming to Cannes, which is good news for me. The version that will be presented in China is the one you have just seen."
- Jia Zhangke, director of A Touch of Sin (Tian Zhu Ding), a tale of corruption, exploitation and greed in modern China, when asked if his film would be censored for domestic viewers.
"He died, you know. When I arrived here, and he wasn't here, I knew something was wrong."
- Comedian Jerry Lewis, 87, referring to his former showbiz partner Dean Martin, tries to make out that he's gone dotty.
"Had I given in to living in the (Hollywood) system, I don't know that I would be here right now."
- Hollywood veteran and Sundance Film Festival founder Robert Redford on how to keep going in the movie business
"There were many cats... and they were difficult"
- Ethan Coen on the ginger moggies he and Joel Coen used for two cat roles in Inside Llewyn Davis.
"Remarks clumsy and misunderstood. Obviously, I wasn't talking about women generally, just about the characters in my film."
- Young and Beautiful director Francois Ozon after telling a Hollywood Reporter journalist it was a fantasy of many women to be a prostitute and adding, "Everybody knows that. Well, maybe not Americans."
"I'm sure he had his reasons"
- Kristin Scott Thomas as Ryan Gosling's mother Crystal in the blood drenched Only God Forgives after being told that his brother, her favourite son, had raped and killed a 16-year-old girl.
"I just take the camera out into the country and point it at things and say, 'this is what I find'. This is a report back to my home planet"
- Nebraska director Alexander Payne on what he called his modern "depression era" film.
"Where were we?" ... "You were calling me a careerist and I was calling you a loser"
- Carey Mulligan as the bad-tempered Jean to Oscar Isaac as struggling folk singer Llewyn Davis in the Coen brothers' Inside Llewyn Davis.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
An actress attempts to convince a director how she's perfect for a role in his upcoming production. Read More »
Add your review
As a war rages on in the province of Bougainville in Papua New Guinea, a young girl becomes transfixed by the Charles Dickens novel Great Expectations, which is being read at school by the only white man in the village. Read More »
Add your review
10 epic pics.
All the deets.
South AfricaCity Press
Johannesburg CBDResourcing Solutions
HousesR 1 200 000
HousesR 1 985 000
HousesR 6 900 000