Mumbai - Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan became a father for the third time at the end of May, Mumbai officials said on Wednesday, amid a controversy over whether the actor and his wife had undergone an illegal prenatal sex test.
A spokesperson at Mumbai's municipal body said they have received confirmation that a baby boy was born in May in a northern city suburb to Khan, 47, and his wife Gauri.
"Andheri hospital has informed the BMC health authorities that a boy was born on May 27, 2013," said Vijay Khabale Patil, a spokesperson for the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC).
"The father's name was Shah Rukh Khan and the mother was Gauri Khan," he told AFP.
The Khans, already parents to a teenage son and daughter, have made no announcements on the matter but it is standard procedure for hospitals to give details of births in the city to the BMC.
Suspicions of an illegal sex test
The baby is widely reported to have been born by surrogacy, an arrangement in which a woman carries the child of another couple.
Back in 2011, fellow Bollywood megastar Aamir Khan and his wife also had a baby boy using a surrogate mother.
The news that the birth was as far back as May means the child was born before rumours surfaced in the media that the Khans were expecting a boy, raising suspicions of an illegal sex test on the foetus.
On seeing the reports, the Indian Radiological and Imaging Association wrote to the health officials demanding an investigation.
Local media on Wednesday said the BMC were still investigating the matter, but Patil was unable to confirm this.
India bans sex tests because of a preference for sons in the country. Female foeticide has led to a major population imbalance between the sexes.
Khan, star of Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (The Braveheart will get the Bride) and My Name Is Khan, topped the first Forbes India Celebrity 100 list earlier this year with annual estimated earnings of $37.7m.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
Australian actor Hugh Jackman has revealed he's held talks over starring in X-Men: Apocalypse. Read More »
Add your review
Orlando Bloom has revealed that he is "in talks" to return to Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales after starring in the first three films of the series. Read More »
Add your review
The top 5!
Coming to SA!
Find out who and what South Africans were most curious about in 2014!
South AfricaOnly the best Durban
HousesR 1 650 000
HousesR 1 150 000
HousesR 4 400 000