India's Supreme Court sentenced Dutt to five years in prison in March for illegal possession of weapons supplied by mafia bosses linked to the terror attack, which killed 257 people in the Indian financial capital and entertainment hub.
The 53-year-old actor served 18 months in jail before being released on bail in 2007 pending an appeal, so he's to spend the next three and a half years behind bars. The Supreme Court reduced his prison sentence to five years from the six-year term initially handed down.
Earlier this month, the court rejected Dutt's plea seeking review of its judgment on his conviction and jail term.
Dutt was convicted for possession of an automatic rifle and a pistol that were supplied to him by men subsequently convicted in the Mumbai bombings.
Asked for guns to protect his family
Dutt arrived in court Thursday accompanied by his wife, Manyata, and filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt. He was also accompanied by several friends from the Indian film industry. Dozens of cameramen, photographers and fans thronged outside his house and the courtroom. At the court, Dutt was forced to stay in his car before emerging to request the crowds make way.
Despite the long-drawn trial over the bombings, Dutt's Bollywood career has flourished over the past 20 years. He gained enormous popularity for a series of Hindi films in which he played the role of a reformed thug who follows the teachings of nonviolence advocate and Indian independence hero Mohandas Gandhi.
According to industry estimates, Dutt is currently involved in projects worth at least $20m.
Dutt has said he knew nothing about the bombing plot and that he asked for the guns to protect his family - his mother was Muslim and his father Hindu - after receiving threats during the religious riots that preceded the bombings.
The 1993 bombings were seen at the time as the world's worst terrorist attack, with 13 bombs exploding over a two-hour period across Mumbai. Powerful explosives were packed into cars and scooters parked near India's main Bombay Stock Exchange and other sites in the city. In addition to those killed, more than 720 people were injured in the attack.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
Sam Mendes is finished with James Bond - the acclaimed British director of Skyfall and Spectre says it's time for somebody else. Read More »
Add your review
Eric Dane, better known as McSteamy, has joined the cast of the international heist thriller, Blue Mauritius. Read More »
Add your review
New music video.
Cape Town show pics.
South AfricaCity Press
Cape TownCity Press
HousesR 4 300 000
HousesR 1 450 000
HousesR 4 250 000