Viral video of the day: Shia LaBeouf the cannibal who lives in the woods and kill people for sport! Watch it here!

e.tv boss Marcel Golding has been immediately suspended over allegations of ‘gross misconduct’

Box office halted after Batman shooting

2012-07-23 08:25
 
Batman
New York - Hollywood studios are aligning in a rare show of solidarity to give their weekend box-office reporting a rest because of the shootings in Colorado at a screening of The Dark Knight Rises.

Sony, Fox, Disney and Universal said on Saturday that they are joining Dark Knight Rises distributor Warner Bros in withholding their box-office numbers for the weekend.

Warner Bros announced on Friday that it would forgo the usual revenue reports until Monday out of respect for the victims and their families in the shooting that killed 12 and wounded 58 at the midnight show earlier in the day.

Most lucrative movie openings

Sony, Disney and Universal said they would not be reporting numbers until Monday, while Chris Aronson, head of distribution for Fox, said the studio plans to still announce box-office receipts on Sunday. Paramount and Lionsgate did not immediately say whether they were joining as well.

Sunday box-office estimates are a weekly routine for Hollywood, with studios jostling for bragging rights as the No 1 movie and always aiming to break revenue records.

Before the shooting in an Aurora, Colorado, movie theatre at a midnight screening of the new Batman film, the box-office performance of The Dark Knight Rises had been eagerly anticipated.

The film is expected to be among the most lucrative movie openings and possibly contend with the record $207.4m brought in by The Avengers.

But that now appears unlikely, even though The Dark Knight Rises earned $30.6 million from midnight screenings alone.

Pull trailers

Warner Bros rushed to react to the tragedy, immediately canceling a Friday premiere in Paris.

On Saturday, it also cancelled the other remaining red-carpet extravaganzas in Mexico City and Tokyo.

The studio, a subsidiary of Time Warner, also moved to pull trailers from its upcoming film Gangster Squad from theatres.

The trailer of the film, which stars Sean Penn and Ryan Gosling in a ruthless war between Los Angeles police and the mob, includes a scene of mobsters firing into a crowded movie theatre from behind the screen.

- AP

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
 

Recent News

Not only is Brick Mansions our movie obsession of the week, it is also Paul Walker's last completed film before his death. Read More »
Add your review

Canadian actor, Gil Bellows, will arrive in South Africa on 9 November in order to attend the official premiere of the movie Leading Lady. Read More »
Add your review

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.