Bryan Singer moves to dismiss sexual abuse lawsuit

2014-07-04 15:00
 

Los Angeles - Bryan Singer has asked for a sexual abuse lawsuit against him to be dismissed.

The X-Men: Days of Future Past director's attorneys filed a motion in Los Angeles federal court on Thursday to drop allegations by an anonymous British actor - identified only as John Doe No 117 - who claims Bryan abused him as a teenager.

Singer's lawyer Marty Singer insists there is no legal basis for the lawsuit and says it was filed improperly. The filmmaker is also seeking $300 000 from the plaintiff to cover the costs of his legal fees, which are said to be ''exorbitant''.

The unidentified British actor's lawyer Jeffrey Herman filed a lawsuit in May against both Singer, 48, and entertainment industry executive Gary Goddard, who filed a similar motion to dismiss in June.

The actor accuses the producers of abusing him in a London hotel when he was 17 years old.

The legal case is the second to hit the Hollywood director after budding actor Michael F Egan filed a similar lawsuit against him earlier this year.

Egan, 31, alleged he was forced to perform sex acts on the filmmaker at a Californian house party in the late 1990s after being plied with drugs and alcohol.

Singer strenuously denied any wrongdoing and believes the allegations are a concerted effort to derail the box office gross of his recently released X-Men blockbuster.

He previously said: "The allegations against me are outrageous, vicious and completely false."

Read more on:    bryan singer  |  lawsuits  |  celebrities  |  sex abuse

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
NEXT ON CHANNELX
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.