While Charlize joined world leaders at a memorial service for Madiba there was no sign of Oprah Winfrey.
It was just a normal Saturday morning when some magic suddenly happened...
The end begins as the star-studded cast of the final Batman movie in director Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy - Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Anne Hathaway, Morgan Freeman - took to the red carpet in New York for The Dark Knight Rises World Premiere. In SA cinemas 27 July.
New York - The Dark Knight Rises star Christian Bale said on Saturday that his heart goes out to the victims of the Colorado shootings, a tragedy that brought Hollywood studios together in a rare show of solidarity as they opted to give the weekend box-office competition a rest.
"Words cannot express the horror that I feel," Bale, who plays the caped crusader in the film, said in a statement. "I cannot begin to truly understand the pain and grief of the victims and their loved ones, but my heart goes out to them."
Meanwhile, Sony, Fox, Disney, Universal, Fox, Paramount and Lionsgate said Saturday that they are joining The Dark Knight Rises distributor Warner Bros in withholding their box office numbers for the weekend.
Warner Bros announced on Friday that it would forgo the usual revenue reports until Monday out of respect for the victims and their families in the Aurora, Colorado, shooting that killed 12 and wounded 58 at the midnight show of The Dark Knight Rises earlier in the day.
Most lucrative movie openings
The other studios said they also would not report numbers until Monday. Box office tracking service Rentrak, too, said it would not report figures this weekend.
Sunday box office estimates are a weekly routine for Hollywood, with studios jostling for bragging rights as the No 1 movie and always aiming to break revenue records.
Before the shooting in an Aurora, Colorado, movie theatre at a midnight screening of the new Batman film, the box office performance of The Dark Knight Rises had been eagerly anticipated. The film is expected to be among the most lucrative movie openings and possibly contend with the record $207.4m brought in by The Avengers.
But that now appears unlikely, even though The Dark Knight Rises earned $30.6m from midnight screenings alone. Hollywood trade publications Variety and Hollywood Reporter reported estimates of roughly $75m to $77m for the film on Friday, based on box office insiders.
That would put it on track for somewhere around $165m for the weekend. Such a total would be the second highest weekend opening ever, after The Avengers.
Any projections, though, are bound to be rough approximates given the atypical nature of the situation. Many of Friday's tickets were presold before the shooting. Moviegoers making their way to theaters also faced increased security and, in some places, bag checks. AMC Theaters, the country's second-largest movie chain, said it would not allow costumed fans or face-covered masks into its theatres.
Warner Bros rushed to react to the tragedy, immediately cancelling a Friday night premiere in Paris. On Saturday, it also cancelled the other remaining red carpet extravaganzas in Mexico City and Tokyo. The Finnish film industry also cancelled large parts of its marketing campaign for The Dark Knight Rises because of the shootings, YLE television reported.
Warner Bros, a subsidiary of Time Warner, also moved to pull preview trailers for its upcoming film Gangster Squad from cinemas. The trailer of the film, which stars Sean Penn and Ryan Gosling in a ruthless war between Los Angeles police and the mob, includes a scene of mobsters firing into a crowded movie theatre from behind the screen.
Christopher Nolan, the director of The Dark Knight Rises earlier responded to the tragedy, expressing his sorrow for the victims and their families.
Said Nolan: "The movie theatre is my home and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me."
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
Jason Momoa is in talks to join Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot in Warner Bros' upcoming Man of Steel sequel, which will center around Superman and Batman. Read More »
Add your review
Warner Bros has released five sneak peeks to the 2014 reboot of Godzilla, with a quick glimpse of Breaking Bad star Bryan Cranston. Read More »
Add your review
Celebrities at Nelson Mandela's memorial service.
Madiba memorial coverage on TV.
Oprah fails to arrive for Madiba memorial.
Thirty Seconds to Mars coming to SA.
Ender’s Game is a very adult movie.
Courteney Cox dating Snow Patrol star.
The new Godzilla movie coming soon.
A not so merry Christmas for Kimye!
Every year sees some disasters on the big screen. Check out the list of the biggest film flops in 2013.
South AfricaDiscovery ITMarket Related
South AfricaPlanet 10 Mgt & ConsultingMarket Related
HousesR 2 250 000
HousesR 4 200 000
HousesR 2 040 000