The end begins as the star-studded cast of the final Batman movie in director Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy - Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Anne Hathaway, Morgan Freeman - took to the red carpet in New York for The Dark Knight Rises World Premiere. In SA cinemas 27 July.
Los Angeles - Batman movie director Christopher Nolan lamented Friday the "senseless tragedy" and "unbearably savage" gunning down of 12 moviegoers at a Colorado theatre screening of The Dark Knight Rises.
The Oscar-nominated filmmaker, who cancelled the French premiere of the final part in the Batman trilogy and a media junket in Paris after the shootings, said the "innocent" place he calls his "home", the cinema, had been violated.
"Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew... I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community," Nolan said, referring to the town where the killings occurred.
"I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie," he added.
A further 59 people were wounded in the attack.
British-American Nolan is director of the trio of Batman movies that started with Batman Begins in 2005 followed by The Dark Knight in 2008. The Dark Knight Rises is the final instalment.
He also wrote and directed 2010 thriller Inception, which won four Oscars and was nominated for four others. Nolan was also nominated for best screenplay Oscar in 2002, for Memento.
"I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime," Nolan said.
"The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me.
"Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."
British actor Gary Oldman, who plays Gotham City police commissioner James Gordon in the movie, expressed shock at the "horrific" shooting, while studio Warner Bros said it was "deeply saddened."
Stars including Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotillard and Morgan Freeman had been due to attend the premiere on the Champs-Elysees in Paris ahead of the film's general opening in France on Wednesday.
But management at the Gaumont Champs-Elysees cinema, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the premiere had been scrapped.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
Australian actor Hugh Jackman has revealed he's held talks over starring in X-Men: Apocalypse. Read More »
Add your review
Orlando Bloom has revealed that he is "in talks" to return to Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales after starring in the first three films of the series. Read More »
Add your review
The top 5!
Coming to SA!
Find out who and what South Africans were most curious about in 2014!
South AfricaOnly the best Durban
HousesR 1 650 000
HousesR 6 900 000
HousesR 1 150 000