Channel24 interviews SA director, Oliver Schmitz, about his new film, Shepherds and Butchers

Dr Luke has refuted allegations that he abused Kesha by "pressuring" her into starving herself

Maker of film on rapper Drake sues its own star over tweet

2015-03-21 14:00

Los Angeles - A film company that is bringing the rapper Drake to the big screen has filed a lawsuit against its own star over a tweet.

Ahead of the release on Thursday of the movie Drake's Homecoming: The Lost Footage, the Canadian hip-hop artist wrote on social media that he played no part in making the film.

"I feel it is my responsibility to inform and protect my fans," Drake wrote both to his 21.6 million Twitter followers and on his Facebook page, which is liked by more than 36 million people.

SpectiCast, the company that made the film, on Thursday announced a lawsuit in a California court that accused Drake of libel.

"Drake authorised the filming, he was paid for it, he still has a financial stake in the movie, and his current statements to the contrary are completely false," said Peter Haviland, a lawyer for SpectiCast.

The company is seeking damages as well as a declaration that the film is authorised by Drake.

The film covers a concert by Drake in his hometown Toronto in 2009, a year before he burst on the international scene with his debut album Thank Me Later, and is being promoted as footage that had been feared lost.

The company submitted a document to court that indicated that before the show Drake agreed to $15 000 along with 25% of profits from merchandise sold at the concert and 15% of the film's profits.

It was unclear if the amount was in US or Canadian dollars. The lawsuit said that Drake agreed to give SpectiCast the right to distribute the film everywhere but Canada.

The lawsuit alleges that Drake had raised no complaints until several days ago, when he announced the line-up for his own label's Ovo Fest in Toronto in August.

"On information and belief, Drake's secret motivation for publishing the damaging falsehoods about the film, and trying to destroy its commercial and artistic success, was to drive Drake's fans to purchase tickets to his own Ovo Fest," the lawsuit said.

Drake did not immediately respond to the lawsuit. SpectiCast said that the film was opening on Thursday in 350 US theatres and hundreds more abroad.

Last month, Drake released without warning If You're Reading This, It's Too Late, which debuted at number one on the US charts.

Read more on:    drake  |  celebrities  |  music  |  movies
NEXT ON CHANNEL24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Recent News

Everything you need to know about the 5 new flicks releasing at the cinema this weekend. Read More »
Add your review

Channel24 interviews SA director, Oliver Schmitz, about his new film, Shepherds and Butchers. Read More »
Add your review

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.