Cape Town – Local bluesy folk favourite Naming James recently revealed a few secrets to Channel24.
Don’t know who Naming James is? Consisting of three band members Jamie Acheson (thin strings) Ivan Oberholster (fat strings) and Leighton Powell (skins), Naming James is a regular on the South African music scene. They have released two albums namely The Butcher’s Knife in 2012 and a brand new album in 2014, titled Into the Night.
Here are the 10 things you didn’t know about Jamie Acheson from Naming James:
1. My high school band was called The Sponge Puppets and we were terrible.
2. I learned classical guitar and music theory in my teenage years and also have a diploma in Sound Engineering.
3. I have a record collection of about 700 vinyls.
4. I am a guitar and music theory teacher and have taught students young and old for the last 14 years.
5. Contrary to the music I make now, I grew up in the 90's listening to heavy metal, grunge and rock.
6. My main inspirations as a songwriter are Tom Waits and Bob Dylan.
7. I had open heart surgery when I was 23 after I nearly died from septicaemia in my blood.
8. I secretly wish I was in a punk rock band. It would be called 'Septic Breadboard'.
9. A poem I wrote called 'I Am This Night' was published in a South African poetry collection in 2007.
10. I don't like Elvis.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
Taylor Swift performed This Is What You Came For, the song she wrote for ex-boyfriend Calvin Harris, at her only full concert on 2016 over the weekend. Read More »
Justin Bieber stormed off stage at his concert in Manchester, England, after being booed by fans. Read More »
10 epic pics.
All the deets.
South AfricaCity Press
Johannesburg CBDResourcing Solutions
HousesR 6 900 000
HousesR 3 220 000
HousesR 1 200 000