Cape Town – With the indie band’s visit to our shores just around the corner, we decided to go and find some interesting facts for your reading pleasure.
The band – which consist of members Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir(lead singer/guitarist), Ragnar "Raggi" Þórhallsson (co-singer-guitarist), Brynjar Leifsson (guitarist), Arnar Rósenkranz Hilmarsson (drummer) and Kristján Páll Kristjánsson (bassist) – will be playing Kirstenbosch gardens on 30 and 31 March and Sowing the Seeds in Johannesburg on 2 April.
Maybe you're going to their gig with a friend who is a massive fan but you're not really sure who they are? Or maybe you just love their music but don't really know anything more than that about them? Don't fear. We've got you covered!
1. Of Monsters and Men is a five-member, English-language indie folk-pop band from Reykjavík in Iceland.
2. They got their big break in 2010 when they won Iceland's annual battle of the bands, Músiktilraunira. This is also where they decided on their name, which co-singer and guitarist Raggi suggested.
3. In a 2013 interview with Gigwise, bassist Kristjan revealed that they believe in trolls. And no not the internet trolls, real life trolls! He said: "Yeah. We do. Arnar told me once about a troll who lives in his father's garage. There is a troll that lives there. You can't see him but you can feel him. Sometimes his father goes into the garage and speaks to it, has long conversations with him." Weird man!
4. The band’s hit song, Little Talks, is about the conversations between a couple, where the husband passed away. Raggi and Nanna were inspired to write Little Talks by this old couple that lived in Nanna’s house for 30 years.
5. They all have the same circle tattoo. And they’ve never told anyone what it means. We want to know dammit!
6.The band's 2011 debut album My Head Is an Animal, reached the No 1 position in Australia, Iceland, Ireland and the US Rock and Alternative Charts. Its lead single Little Talks was an international success, reaching the Top 10 in most music charts in Europe, including No 1 in Ireland and Iceland, and No 1 on US Alternative Songs.
7. Their debut album almost didn’t see the light of day. In an interview with CBC, guitarist Brynjar said: "When we were making the album, we were all working or in school. We were like, loaning money to the band. I had paid some studio hours to the band and the band paid me back when we had money." Nanna added: "We had concerts, like, "Please help us make an album!"
Of Monsters And Men Live In Cape TownVenue: Kirstenbosch Botanical GardensDate: Wednesday 30 March and Thursday 31 March 2016Ticket Price: R425, from WebticketsSupport Act: Gangs of BalletGates Open: 18:00This is an all ages event.*Times subject to change.Sowing the Seeds Music And Lifestyle Festival 2016Venue: Emmarentia Dam, JohannesburgDate: Saturday, 2 April 2016Ticket Price: R495 excl. booking fee, from www.sowingtheseeds.co.za.Support Acts: BCUC. More acts still to be announcedGates Open: 10:00This is an all ages event.*Times subject to change
(Sources: Wikipedia,YouTube and Interview Magazine)
See all the hottest new local and international music videos that have recently been released.
Read More »
The NFL and Pepsi have announced that Lady Gaga will headline the Super Bowl halftime show. Read More »
South AfricaCity Press
Cape TownCity Press
HousesR 2 500 000
Apartments / FlatsR 29 500 000
HousesR 1 599 000