Alcohol killed Amy Winehouse - confirmed
London - Amy Winehouse died from accidental alcohol poisoning when she resumed drinking after a period of abstinence, a second coroner's inquest confirmed on Tuesday.
Coroner Shirley Radcliffe ruled that the 27-year-old soul singer "died as a result of alcohol toxicity" and recorded a verdict of death by misadventure. She said there were no suspicious circumstances.
She said Winehouse "voluntarily consumed alcohol — a deliberate act that took an unexpected turn and led to her death".
Tuesday's verdict was identical to that produced by a first inquest in 2011. But the result of that hearing was annulled after the original coroner was found to lack the proper qualifications for the job.
Likely suffered respiratory arrest
The Grammy-winning singer, who fought a very public battle with drug and alcohol abuse for years, was found dead at her London home on 23 July 2011, with empty vodka bottles scattered around her.
Radcliffe said a postmortem had found that Winehouse had a blood alcohol level five times the legal driving limit, and above a level that can prove fatal.
She said that much alcohol could affect the central nervous system so much that a patient could "fall asleep and not wake up".
Pathologist Michael Sheaff told the inquest that Winehouse had likely suffered respiratory arrest after consuming so much alcohol. The level in her blood was 416mg per 100ml, a blood alcohol level of 0.4%. The British legal driving limit is 0.08%.
Winehouse's family did not attend the 45-minute inquest at St Pancras Coroner's Court, near the singer's north London home.
Testimony from witnesses and experts
The original coroner resigned in November 2011 after her qualifications were questioned. She had been hired by her husband, the senior coroner for inner north London. But she had not been a registered lawyer in Britain for five years as required.
In Britain, inquests are held to determine the facts whenever someone dies unexpectedly, violently or in disputed circumstances.
The beehive-haired Winehouse shot to global fame with her 2006 album Back to Black, which won five Grammys. But her erratic public behaviour, turbulent private life and frequent health problems — which included seizures, emphysema and bulimia — often overshadowed her musical talent.
Tuesday's second inquest re-heard testimony from witnesses and experts including the bodyguard who found Winehouse dead, the police officer who investigated and a doctor who treated the singer as she tried to quit drugs and alcohol.
The doctor, Christina Romete, said Winehouse was "a highly intelligent individual, very determined and willful", who did not easily follow doctors' orders and resisted suggestions that she seek psychological help.
She said the singer had successfully given up drugs after a period of taking heroin, crack cocaine and marijuana, but had struggled to stop drinking, going through periods of abstinence followed by booze binges.
Winehouse started drinking a few days before her death after being dry for almost two weeks.
"She said she started drinking again because she felt bored," said Romete, who saw Winehouse the day before she died.
"I asked Amy if she was going to stop drinking that evening and she said she did not know," the doctor said.
Scott Disick channels Christian Bale's American Psycho role in Kanye West's promotional video for his new album. Read More »
Lil Wayne has taken to Twitter and Facebook to explain that he wasn't intentionally stepping on the US flag when shooting his latest video for the song God Bless Amerika. Read More »
inside channel 24
Pics of the hit musical Jersey Boys, at Artscape from 19 June.
Spud 2 star Troye Sivan and author John van de Ruit chat to us.
Ever taken a selfie? Take tips from these celebs.
Not the best animated movie but good enough school holiday fare.
Anne talks her Angie friendship and booming career.
10 celeb GIFs just because it's the weekend!
Anne Hirsch visits Channel24 and meets her fans.
6 reasons why Man of Steel will be a success.