Cape Town – As the annual rock fest in Northam approaches, we decided to give you a round-up of what can be expected at this year’s Oppikoppi.ICYMI: The theme for Oppikoppi 21 is The Fantastic Mr. VOS VOS. The festival is taking place from 7-9 August. Tickets cost R750 and are available here.
Which international acts will be playing?
1) Livingston (UK)With singer Beukes Willemse and guitarist/keyboardist Chris van Niekerk from South Africa, they are super excited to be touring SA for the first time with their music. Other members are guitarist/percussionist Jakob Nebel from Germany and bassist Phil Magee from the UK. Their music has featured in an internationally released movie and they have released 3 albums.
2) Twin Atlantic (Scotland)Booked for their 5th year running at both Leeds and Reading festivals, Scottish rockers Sam McTrusty (lead vocals, rhythm guitar), Barry McKenna (lead guitar, cello, backing vocals), Ross McNae (bass guitar, piano, backing vocals) and Craig Kneale (drums, percussion, backing vocals) will be making their way to the dusty roads of Oppikoppi. They have released 3 albums and joined Thirty Seconds to Mars on the second part of their European Arena tour in 2014.3) Gogol Bordello (US)Gypsy punk wonderlust kings, Gogol Bordello, formed in 1999 and are known for their theatrical stage shows and persistent touring. Much of the band's sound is inspired by Gypsy music mixed with punk and dub. The band incorporates accordion and violin (and on some albums, saxophone). They have released 9 studio albums.
4) Konrad Küchenmeister ft Mad Flows.An American with slick rap skills met a German loop master in an underground club in Germany. They have teamed up and toured around, and now they are heading to Oppikoppi. 5) The Curious Incident (UK)What do you get when you combine four band members from four different countries? The Curious Incident! A band of multinationals whose music combines a little Red Hot Chili Peppers, a little Sting, a little Winehouse, a little Bruno Mars and a lot more thrown in depending on the weather, the guys are returning to SA after they toured here in 2012 and 2014.
5) Brand New (US)Brand New is an alternative rock band from Long Island, New York. Formed in 2000, the band currently consists of vocalist/guitarist/lyricist Jesse Lacey, guitarist/vocalist/lyricist Vincent Accardi, bassist Garrett Tierney, and drummer Brian Lane. They have released 4 studio albums.
<br _moz_dirty="" />
6) Tatran (Israel)Hailing from Tel Aviv in Israel, Tatran is a 3 piece, instrumental band consisting of band members Tamuz Dekel (guitar), Dan Mayo (drums) and Offir Benjaminov (bass). In their early twenties, they come from diverse backgrounds and produce a rich and crystallized mix crossing through modern jazz, rock, classical, folk, avant¬garde and electronica.
Any cool collaborations?
Something completely different will be a collaboration between Albert Frost, Toya Delazy, and Lee Thomson (Hog Hoggidy Hog).This is not the first or last time you will see Albert Frost's name on the line-up, as he will also be collaborating with Robin Auld for some custom made entertainment.
Which local acts will be playing?
The Black Cat Bones, The Bearded Ladies, Southern Wild, Meth Breath, Crystal Park, FILTH, Bark, New Academics, P.H. fat, Shortstraw, Francois van Coke, Card On Spokes, The Parlotones, Guy Collins, Hyphen, Poverty Of Ideals, Nonku Phiri, Frank Freeman, and Kings Down South, Sannie Fox, Desmond & the Tutus, Gerald Clark and Luna Paige, aKING, The Nomadic Orchestra, Bye Beneco, AKA and many more. See the artists that have been announced so far below:
Any reunion shows?
Remember local band Tweak? They are making a comeback at his year’s festival! Tweak released their first new song in ten years, titled The A Team, and announced that they will be doing a 10 year anniversary tour.
Who will be honoured this year?
The annual Oppikoppi tribute has become quite a thing. Apart from the Heavy Weight Championship belt each artist gets for his lifetime contribution, it is one of the few opportunities which the left of centre South African audience has to tip their hat. Following on Valiant Swart, Hugh Masekela, David Kramer, Koos Kombuis, Sipho Hostix Mabuse, and Ollie Viljoen, the 2015 tribute artist is Johnny Clegg. A ground breaking singer, dancer and anthropologist, Clegg has never actually played OppiKoppi before!
One of the most prolific songwriters of his generation, and two or three generations after that, Liedjieboer Anton Goosen will be playing on the Oppikoppi stage for the first time ever! This is a show not to be missed!
The Northam Uitgewasde Seunskoor vir Mans en Vrouens
Auditions are now open for what will probably become one of South Africa’s most internationally acclaimed more or less traditional choirs. Hailing from Northam (and actually many other frontier townlets), the Northam Uitgewasde Seunskoor vir Mans en Vrouens (NUSMV), will be a fiercely independent, very low level amateur choir of sub-international standing.
Launching in 2015 and performing only domestically (for now), as close to Northam as possible (for now), this choir offers non-professional-but-very-willing-singers (and harmonisers) their only chance to perform in front of 20 000 of the most clued up music critics in Southern Africa. Apart from doing a few of their own rock ‘n roll anthems, the NUSMV has also been confirmed as the official backing choir for one song with Francois van Coke during his set at Oppikoppi.
NUSMV is looking for 20 - 30 key founding members. Judges will be looking for reasonable voices, but more importantly: conviction and verve. And of course, you must know a few rock ’n roll (and especially South African rock ‘n roll) anthems. You will need to be in harmony with the founding values of the NUSMV: tolerance, abundance, joy, rock ‘n roll, beer and respect.
Submit an audition video of you singing your heart out to any song by these artists:
Johnny CleggShortstrawP.H.fatTweakAKINGToya Delazy
Film yourself, upload your video to Instagram or Facebook and tag @oppikoppi and add #uitgewas. Entries will be open from 22 May through to 30 June. The top 30 will go through to the next round of live auditions.
Successful singers will, of course, be given free entry to the festival, and will be required to join the choir for a few random performances, as well as the climactic performance with Francois van Coke. A few impromptu members will also be added at the festival itself.
Where can I stay?
This year there are 4 tented hotels to choose from. Here they are:
Camelthorn Tented HotelThey offer a wholesome breakfast, warm showers, clean toilets, safe parking, a grooming tent for the ladies, and of course a snugly mattress…with the option to upgrade to the VIP option with camp beds and bedding. Starting at R1600 per person sharing. Also driven by I Dream Africa (the same capable crew of Klein Whk Hotel). Click here to book your spot.
Harambee HotelTheir third year at Oppikoppi, they are offering you a comfortable tent with lights and charging point, with a real bed, hot showers to get rid of the ever present dust, yummy breakfast, private bar and VIP lounge. It costs R2025 per person sharing. Click here to book your spot.
Klein Windhoek Tented HotelKlein Windhoek Tented Hotel is strategically situated next to the all famous ‘Skellum Stage’… Here you can escape the awesomeness of Oppikoppi, and for a while enjoy our Bushveld hospitality. Clean toilets, warm showers, comfortable mattresses, security, a grooming tent for the ladies and of course a flippen lekker breakfast!! Starting at R1600 per person sharing. VIP options also available. Click here to book your spot.
Kreef HotelKreef Hotel started the concept of Tent ‘Hotels’ 12 years ago at Oppikoppi. Our crew have all the experience to provide our guests with a seamless and smooth experience, value for money at its best! Most of our guests from 12 years back will still only stay at one Hotel, the original Kreef Hotel. Options at Kreef include single tents (the only Hotel that offers this), twins (2 singles in 1 tent), doubles (double mattress in a tent) and the entry level price offering special, the THREESOME (3 singles in 1 tent). It costs between R 560.00 - R 3500.00. Click here to book your spot.
Oppikoppi recently shared the first festival poster of 21 years ago on their Facebook page. Check it out here:
To stay up to date with everything Oppikoppi, like their Facebook page here or visit their official website for more information.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
Jay Z has been nominated for the Songwriters Hall of Fame next year, which will make him the first ever rapper to receive the honour. Read More »
After finally acknowledging his Nobel Prize win in a post on his website, Bob Dylan has now mysteriously removed it again. Read More »
10 epic pics.
All the deets.
South AfricaCity Press
Johannesburg CBDResourcing Solutions
HousesR 1 985 000
HousesR 2 495 000