Orlando Bloom swings a punch at Justin Bieber at a restaurant in Ibiza and the crowd goes wild!

21 pictures of celebs and their partners from Strictly Come Dancing episode 2 you have to see!

Linkin Park Soweto venue 'safe'

2012-11-08 17:15
 
linkin park
Johannesburg - Extra security and safety checks have been arranged for Linkin Park's Soccer City show on Saturday after an accident outside their Cape Town venue, Stadium Management SA (SMSA) said on Thursday.

"In light of the tragedy at Cape Town Stadium on Wednesday night, SMSA has undertaken additional security checks to ensure the utmost safety for all patrons," said the company, which manages their next venue.

A woman died and 18 people were injured when an advertising structure outside the stadium was toppled by wind ahead of the concert. The concert went ahead.

SMSA said it had taken all necessary precautions to ensure a safe show in Soweto on Saturday. The police, flying squad, dog unit, bomb squad, metro police, and paramedics would be in and around the stadium.

Husband considering legal action

SMSA chairman and CEO Jacques Grobbelaar offered condolences to the family of the woman who was killed.

Western Cape government health department spokesperson Mark van der Heever said 18 people were assessed and treated at the scene on Wednesday night.

Of those, 12 patients required hospitalisation and were transported to public and private hospitals by Cape Town's Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and private ambulance service, ER24.

The name of the woman who died had not yet been released to the media.

The Cape Argus reported that her husband was considering legal action. It quoted two women who had been doing promotional work, saying gazebos that had been erected earlier had been packed away because of the wind.

Lance Witten suspended

The band posted a statement on its website saying it had been advised of the collapse of an advertising tower erected by Lucozade in the parking lot outside the venue.

"We wish to express our deep sadness and concern for those injured and our heartfelt condolences to the family of the fan who died as a result of her injuries."

City of Cape Town spokesperson Kylie Hatton said the city and event organisers would co-operate with the investigation. The structure had been pre-approved and certified as safe before the event. Hatton said the investigation would include whether approval procedures had been properly followed.

Big Concerts, the show's organiser, posted a message on its Facebook page expressing its "deepest sympathies and condolences" to the injured and to the relatives of the woman killed.

Meanwhile, sports anchor for eNews Channel Africa, Lance Witten, was suspended on Thursday for posting on Twitter: "Linkin Park is so badass, people are dying to see 'em", according to eNCA head of news, Patrick Conroy.

An internal inquiry into Witten's comments would be conducted. Witten deleted the tweet.

- SAPA

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
7 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
 

Recent News

Die Antwoord's new music video for Ugly Boy is going to be a goodie! Read More »

Sinead O'Connor has hit out at the sexualisation of young pop stars including Justin Bieber. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.