McCartney, Springsteen gig cut by curfew

2012-07-16 10:52
London - Concert organisers pulled the plug on rock stars Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney after the pair defied the sound curfew at London's Hyde Park, silencing their microphones at the tail end of the show.

Springsteen had already exceeded the 22:30 curfew by half an hour on Saturday when he welcomed McCartney on stage and the pair sang the Beatles hits I Saw Her Standing There and Twist and Shout .

But the microphones were turned off before they could thank the crowd, forcing them to leave the stage in silence.

A statement from concert organiser Live Nation said it was unfortunate that Springsteen's three-hour-plus performance was stopped "right at the very end", but it said that the curfew had been laid down by the authorities "in the interest of the public's health and safety".

Huge concerts in Hyde Park, a 140-hectare expanse of landscaped garden and parkland that abuts some of London's wealthiest neighbourhoods, have increasingly caused friction between fans and the area's well-heeled residents, many of whom gripe about the late-night noise and nuisance.

Wouldn't want to hear one more

With complaints on the rise, local officials have decided that as of next year, the number of concerts will be slashed from 13 to nine. Also in 2013, they plan to reduce crowd limits from 80 000 to 65 000.

Steven Van Zandt, who plays guitar in Springsteen's E-Street Band, criticised Saturday's decision as heavy-handed.

"English cops may be the only individuals left on earth that wouldn't want to hear one more from Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney!" he wrote on Twitter.

"On a Saturday night! Who were we disturbing?" Finally he added: "There's no grudges to be held. Just feel bad for our great fans. ... It's some City Council stupid rule."

London's flamboyant mayor, Boris Johnson, said on Sunday that the singers should have been allowed to keep going.

"It sounds to me like an excessively efficacious decision," he told London radio. "You won't get that during the Olympics. If they'd have called me, my answer would have been for them to jam in the name of the Lord!"

Comments

  • lizelle.grobbelaarvanzyl - 2012-07-16 12:22

    How friggin hilarious! If they cut the mics here, the people will burn the stadium down in protest!

  • lizelle.grobbelaarvanzyl - 2012-07-16 12:23

    How friggin hilarious! If they cut the mics here, the people will burn the stadium down in protest!

  • vernon.samuel.7 - 2012-07-16 15:21

    You have got to be kidding!!! Two massive legends in pop/rock music singing together on stage to 80,000 people in the music capital of the world and they turn down the mics!!!???!!! This has got to be the stupidest thing that the London city council has done since they cut short the Beatles roof-top concert in 1969. The English can really be dumb twats sometimes!

  • pages:
  • 1