Rap mogul Suge Knight collapses in court after bail hearing

2015-03-23 09:10
 


Los Angeles - Former rap music mogul Marion "Suge" Knight collapsed in a courtroom on Friday shortly after a judge ordered him held on $25m bail in a murder case.

Bailiffs cleared the courtroom and paramedics were seen going inside a few minutes later.

Defence attorney Matthew Fletcher said Knight was unconscious when the lawyer left the courtroom and an update on his condition was not immediately available.

Fletcher said his client, who is diabetic and has a blood clot, previously told him that he hadn't received any medication since Thursday.

Fletcher said Knight hit his head on a chair when he fell after the bail hearing.

Knight collapsed while deputies were bringing him back into the courtroom after Fletcher asked a judge to order that Knight be given his medication.

The attorney said Knight was being kept in solitary confinement without proper access to medication.
"He's being treated worse than Charles Manson," Fletcher said.

The collapse marked the fourth time that Knight has been taken by ambulance from a courthouse since he was charged with killing Terry Carter, 55, in early February.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Ronald S Coen set bail on Friday at $25m for Knight, who is accused of running down and killing Carter with his truck.

Coen made his decision after Deputy District Attorney Cynthia Barnes noted that Knight was on bail in a robbery case when he struck Carter and another man in a parking lot in Compton.

"He escalated his behaviour and committed murder," Barnes told the judge.

Fletcher argued that Knight's bail should be set at $2m, but Coen said the higher amount was warranted.

The attorney said before the hearing that his client likely could not post bail if it was set at $25m.

Knight, the 49-year-old co-founder of Death Row Records, has pleaded not guilty to murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run charges.

Barnes filed a motion on Thursday accusing Knight of being part of a scheme that has extorted more than $10m from up-and-coming and established rappers in recent years.

Fletcher countered that prosecutors should file charges involving those extortion claims if they have enough evidence.

Knight was a key player in the gangster rap scene that flourished in the 1990s, his label once listing Dr. Dre, Tupac Shakur and Snoop Dogg among its artists. Knight lost control of the company after it was forced into bankruptcy.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
NEXT ON CHANNELX
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.