With just over a week to go until UB40 kicks off their SA tour, we bring you some interesting facts about their opening band, Grassy Spark

Angelina Jolie was reportedly questioned by the FBI for four hours over the Brad Pitt private plane incident

Suge Knight's legal team provides court with new video of attack

2015-07-09 14:12

Los Angeles - New video of a fatal parking lot confrontation that led to a murder against Marion "Suge" Knight shows the former rap music mogul was being attacked by a man with a gun, his attorneys wrote in a filing seeking a reduction in his $10m bail.

Tuesday's filing by attorney Thomas Mesereau states the video, which has not been shown in court, shows that there were several people armed with handguns when Knight was attacked outside a Compton burger stand.

The video is part of a renewed effort to reduce Knight's $10m bail on murder and attempted murder charges. It is unclear whether the footage will be shown in court at a bail hearing set for 17 July.

Knight has pleaded not guilty in the case and his attorneys have said he was ambushed before running over two men, fatally injuring one of them. Previous attorneys for the Death Row Records co-founder have said video of the confrontation appeared to show one of the men struck by Knight, Cle "Bone" Sloan, was carrying a handgun.

"Mr. Sloan was armed, as were others," Mesereau's filing states. "Weapons are visible on the video provided to the court."

The filing states the video is new, uncut, and hasn't previously been used in the case. "This video shows (Knight) being viciously attacked and fleeing for his life," Mesereau's filing states. "Most significantly, the video discloses one of his attackers brandishing a weapon. When this armed attacker dropped his gun, the video depicts an associate retrieving the weapon and placing it in his waistband."

Grainy surveillance video showed Sloan dropping an item after he was hit and someone else picking it up, but Sloan has denied he was armed.

"I'm telling this court that I didn't have a gun," Sloan testified during Knight's preliminary hearing on 13 April.

The motion also contends that Knight's criminal history has been overstated by prosecutors, and was accompanied by more than 30 letters from friends, family and associates describing him as a kind, charitable man.

Knight was a key player in the gangster rap scene that flourished in the 1990s, and his Death Row Records label once listed Dr Dre, Tupac Shakur and Snoop Dogg among its artists. He lost control of the company after it was forced into bankruptcy.

In a separate motion, Mesereau is seeking private medical care for Knight, who suffers from diabetes, high blood and complications from multiple gunshot wounds. Knight, 50, is completely blind in his left eye, partially blind in his right and has been told he may have a brain tumor, Mesereau wrote.

Knight and his attorneys have complained about his medical care at the jail before. Superior Court Judge Ronald Coen told Mesereau on Tuesday before the motion was filed that he was unlikely to order sheriff's officials to change Knight's conditions behind bars.

"My view is that I run this courtroom and the sheriff runs the jail," Coen said.

Knight is scheduled to return to court on 17 July.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Recent News

With just over a week to go until UB40 kicks off their SA tour, we bring you some interesting facts about their opening band, Grassy Spark. Read More »

Woodstock Live has announced the annual Hip-Hop & Reggae Sunday taking place this weekend at Trafalgar Park. Get all the deets here! Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.