Johannesburg - Sindisiwe Manqele will rely on a series of apologetic messages she received from her lover, Nkululeko “Flabba” Habedi, to back her claim that she killed him in self-defence, City Press reports.
City Press has learnt that key pieces of evidence to be introduced at her trial include a series of “communications” that appear to show Habedi was abusive towards the 26-year-old woman who allegedly stabbed him to death two weeks ago.
“I’m sorry, I have messed up,” reads one of the messages Habedi sent to his girlfriend in the months before he was stabbed to death.
A source close to Manqele said that, in the message - sent after one of a number of explosive arguments the couple had last year - Habedi apologised profusely for being angry and said he would never do it again.
He also admitted to being emotionally abusive.
After another fight, Habedi took to social-media site Instagram - where the couple posted happy pictures of themselves - and apologised again.
“Eish, ng’moshile jong … fok! Umunt’ wam ung’kwatele [Eish, I messed up ... fok! My baby is angry at me]. Askies baby, I was an ass. I love you,” reads his Instagram wall.
City Press understands Manqele’s lawyers will introduce these messages into evidence and they will become an integral part of the case - which is heading back to the Alexandra Magistrates’ Court on 13 May.
It is expected that, after that appearance, the case will be moved to the South Gauteng High Court for trial.
On Monday, during her second appearance, at which Manqele was granted bail of R10 000, the state said it had a strong case against her.
But Manqele’s lawyer, Amanda Vilakazi, told the court the state’s case was far from strong.
Manqele was charged with murder on 9 March after she fatally stabbed the famous rapper in the chest with a steak knife at his home in Alexandra.
In her affidavit before court on Monday, she admits to killing Habedi by stabbing him in the heart.
“However, I deny that this was done unlawfully and intentionally by myself. I had been brutally attacked by the deceased on the day of his death.
“There was imminent danger to my life on the day in question,” she says in the affidavit.
Before the stabbing, the couple had begun arguing at a birthday party at a nightclub in Sandton.
On Friday, Vilakazi declined to comment on the messages Habedi sent to Manqele.
“I don’t have a mandate to speak to the media. As soon as I have instruction to speak to the media, I will do so,” she said.
Vilakazi began building her client’s self-defence case in court on Monday by presenting a medical report that supported Manqele’s version of events on the fateful night.
The report states that Manqele sustained extensive bruising to the head, neck, upper and lower limbs, and “tenderness” on the back and right side of her neck. She also sustained four stab wounds to the stomach.
Manqele allegedly tried to slit her wrists with a broken bottle at the scene.
Other sources close to Manqele said she had declined interviews, wishing to avoid a slanging match with Habedi’s family at all costs.
A close friend said she was battling to cope.
“She’s having really bad nights since she has been released from jail. She’s not sleeping and has been given advice by people close to her to see a psychologist,” the friend said.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
Taylor Swift performed This Is What You Came For, the song she wrote for ex-boyfriend Calvin Harris, at her only full concert on 2016 over the weekend. Read More »
Justin Bieber stormed off stage at his concert in Manchester, England, after being booed by fans. Read More »
10 epic pics.
All the deets.
South AfricaCity Press
Johannesburg CBDResourcing Solutions
HousesR 1 985 000
HousesR 3 300 000
HousesR 1 750 000