David Beckham makes new H&M underwear ads

2012-08-15 15:30
New York - David Beckham says he's in the underwear game for the long haul, with the second set of ads for his branded collection with H&M launching on Thursday.

The English football star's ads will coincide with a "statue stunt" planned by the retailer, with larger-than-life Beckhams going up in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco. New products will be added to the collection later this year.

Beckham, 37, said he's pleased with consumer reaction.

"I'm very happy that so far people seem to like it, and the first season was incredibly successful. The challenge is to keep it going and establish a brand that will last many years. That is my ambition," he wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

'I'm naturally fit'

Beckham was a champion of the London Olympics that just ended, driving the torch to Olympic Stadium in a speedboat along the Thames.

"I was incredibly honoured to be part of the team that helped bring the Olympics to my home borough, city and country. I always knew we would put on a fantastic event, but it has exceeded even my most optimistic expectations," he said.

Beckham had hoped to play for Britain's soccer team, but he wasn't included in the squad.

Beckham said he didn't have any help getting in shape for the ads, where he was minimally dressed in front of the cameras.

"I did nothing different," he says. "I'm naturally fit, of course, as an athlete, so there is nothing out of the ordinary I do!"