Gareth Cliff, whose new venture will include a TV show, gave us a first look at the Cliff Central headquarters!

Katy Perry destroyed a 5-year-old kid's birthday party to film scenes for her new music video!

Elmo puppeteer denies underage sex claim

2012-11-13 10:03
 
kevin clash,sesame street
Los Angeles -The puppeteer behind Elmo on Sesame Street says he is taking time out from the much-loved US children's TV show to fight a "defamatory" claim he had a sexual relationship with an underage boy.

Kevin Clash, the man behind the furry red character's high-pitched voice and frenetic gestures, admitted he had a relationship with his accuser, who claims he was 16 years old when they started dating, according to studio officials.

But Clash - who was the subject of an award-winning documentary last year - said on Monday that the accuser was not under the age of consent, which is 17 in New York, where the show is made.

"I am a gay man. I have never been ashamed of this or tried to hide it, but felt it was a personal and private matter. I had a relationship with the accuser," said Clash, in a statement forwarded to AFP by publicist Risa Heller.

"It was between two consenting adults and I am deeply saddened that he is trying to characterise it as something other than what it was. I am taking a break from Sesame Workshop to deal with this false and defamatory allegation."

A thorough investigation

Sesame Workshop, the studio behind the legendary show, said it was contacted by a man who claimed to have had a relationship with Clash seven years ago, when he was 16. Clash was reportedly 45 at the time.

"In June of this year, Sesame Workshop received a communication from a then 23-year-old man who alleged that he had a relationship beginning when he was 16 years old with Kevin Clash," it said.

"We took the allegation very seriously and took immediate action," it added, noting it had interviewed both the accuser and Clash about the claims.

"We also conducted a thorough investigation and found the allegation of underage conduct to be unsubstantiated," it said.

According to celebrity news website TMZ, the show's makers say they are suspicious because the accuser now has an email purportedly sent to Clash acknowledging they had an affair when he was 16.

The accuser never previously mentioned such an email existed and programme bosses believe it is fraudulent, TMZ reported.

'Kevin exercised poor judgment'

The show's managers did however reserve some criticism for Clash.

"Although this was a personal relationship unrelated to the workplace, our investigation did reveal that Kevin exercised poor judgment and violated company policy regarding internet usage and he was disciplined.

"Kevin insists that these allegations are false and defamatory and he has taken actions to protect his reputation. We have granted him a leave of absence to do so."

Clash was the subject of last year's Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey, a documentary narrated by Whoopi Goldberg, which won a special jury prize at the Sundance Film Festival.

The studio insisted the claim would not have an impact on the show, or the character, saying: "Elmo is bigger than any one person and will continue to be an integral part of Sesame Street to engage, educate and inspire children around the world."

The programme, which first appeared on public television in November 1969, teaches children the basics of reading, writing and counting.

The story is the second involving Sesame Street to make headlines recently after fellow character Big Bird became embroiled in the US presidential campaign, when Mitt Romney vowed to end public subsidies for the programme.

Republican Romney, who was much lampooned for his Big Bird comment during a debate with Democratic President Barack Obama, lost the White House election on 6 November.

- AFP

Read more on:    kevin clash  |  tv  |  sesame street
NEXT ON CHANNEL24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
6 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
 

Recent News

Britain's baby Prince George has stepped out in public with his parents for the first time in Australia, for an encounter with wildlife at Sydney's Taronga Zoo. Read More »

Royal watchers are scrutinising the duchess of Cambridge on her New Zealand tour after husband Prince William appeared to hint a second baby is on the way. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.