London - Prince William's wife Kate has given birth to the couple's second child, a daughter who becomes fourth in line for the throne.
Here are some highlights of the couple's lives:
- September 2001: Prince William and Kate Middleton meet at St. Andrews University in Scotland where both are studying art history.
- Christmas 2003: The pair reportedly become a couple after sharing a house with two friends. In March they are pictured together on a skiing holiday in Switzerland.
- 16 Nov 2010: William and Kate's engagement is announced. The prince proposed to Kate while on a private holiday to Kenya the previous month.
- 29 April 2011: The pair wed in a lavish ceremony at London's Westminster Abbey. William is made the Duke of Cambridge by his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, and Kate becomes the Duchess of Cambridge.
- 3 Dec 2012: The palace announces that Kate is pregnant and being treated in the hospital for acute morning sickness. She is discharged from the hospital after three nights, telling reporters she is feeling "much better." The palace later announces that the baby is due in July.
- 5 Feb 2013: The couple take a holiday on the Caribbean island of Mustique with Kate's parents.
- 17 March 2013: Kate tells a soldier at a St. Patrick's Day parade that they do not know the sex of the child, but says she would like a boy but William wants a girl.
- 4 June 2013: William and Kate return to their wedding venue when they join the royal family for a service marking the 60th anniversary of the Queen's coronation at Westminster Abbey.
- 15 June 2013: The Duchess makes her last scheduled public appearance before the birth at the Trooping the Colour parade.
- 22 July 2013: Kate gives birth to a baby boy, weighing 8 pounds, 6 ounces, with William by her side.
- 23 July 2013: William and Kate take the baby home to Kensington Palace.
- 24 July 2013: Royal officials say the new prince has been named George Alexander Louis. The announcement came after Queen Elizabeth II met her great-grandson. William and Kate then brought their child to her parents' home outside London.
- 7 April 2014: William, Kate and George make their first official overseas trip as a family on an extended tour of New Zealand and Australia.
- 8 September 2014: The palace announces that Kate is pregnant with their second child and is once again experiencing acute morning sickness that forces her to cancel a number of official commitments.
- 21 October 2014: Kate resumes royal duties after her morning sickness eases. She and William welcome the president of Singapore to London at the start of a state visit. She carries out numerous official duties throughout her second pregnancy.
- 18 March 2015: During a visit to a children's center, Kate tells a volunteer she is due mid to late April. "Not long to go now," she says.
- 2 May 2015: Kate gives birth to the couple's second child, a baby girl, hours after she is admitted to London hospital.
Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge was safely delivered of a daughter at 8.34am.— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) May 2, 2015
Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge was safely delivered of a daughter at 8.34am.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
Six reporters, photographers and media chiefs are to be tried in France for invasion of privacy over topless photos of Britain's Duchess of Cambridge. Read More »
The Duchess of Cambridge has revealed how her daughter, Princess Charlotte, has inherited the British royal family's love of horses. Read More »
10 epic pics.
All the deets.
South AfricaCity Press
Johannesburg CBDResourcing Solutions
HousesR 6 900 000
HousesR 1 750 000
HousesR 6 990 000