Amp Events has announced that rock icons Pixies will be touring South Africa in March next year!

Meet Iain Thomas, the 36-year-old South African poet who is famous all over the world except in SA

Miss World organiser lashes out at government

2013-09-16 13:49
miss world
Jakarta - The billionaire media mogul who brought Miss World to Indonesia lashed out at the government on Monday for bowing to Muslim hardline pressure by moving the entire beauty pageant to Bali.

But Hary Tanoesoedibjo, head of MNC media group, the local organiser of the event, conceded the whole contest would now be held on the Hindu-majority island as there was no other option but to follow the authorities' orders.

Organisers originally planned to hold only the early rounds on Bali and later rounds and the final in and around the capital Jakarta, where there is considerable hardline influence.

But days of Islamic radical protests across Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim-majority country, prompted the government to order the whole three-week pageant take place on Bali.


The authorities announced the decision on 7 September - just a day before the competition got under way.

MNC claimed last week it would be "impossible" to move the entire contest to Bali at such short notice and sought to lobby the government to change the decision.

But Tanoesoedibjo said on Monday the decision was now final and they would find a way to do it - but he added he was "disappointed" at the move as it could further tarnish Indonesia's reputation.

"This will create the perception that we are not strong enough and that a decision can instantly be changed just because of some kind of pressure," said the mogul, who has a fortune of $1.7bn, according to Forbes.

Authorities in Indonesia have changed or cancelled events in the past due to opposition from Islamic radicals - most notably in the case of pop star Lady Gaga who called off a show in Jakarta last year following protests.

'A significant loss'

Tanoesoedibjo said the final, on 28 September, and preceeding rounds would be held around Nusa Dua, in south Bali, but gave no further details.

The 47-year-old, whose empire includes TV stations and newspapers, also said the government's decision would cause "a significant loss" to MNC.

Budi Rustanto, a member of the organising committee, added that it had been a desperate rush to secure hotel bookings in Bali for thousands of contestants and guests at the last minute.

While the vast majority of Indonesians practise a moderate form of Islam, a vocal hardline fringe has become increasingly influential in recent years.

Read more on:    miss world  |  bali  |  jakarta
NEXT ON CHANNEL24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Recent News

The Duchess of Cambridge has revealed how her daughter, Princess Charlotte, has inherited the British royal family's love of horses. Read More »

Prince William and Kate expressed their gratitude for the warm welcome they received from Canadians as they wrapped up their eight-day tour with their young children. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.