Sony Pictures cancelled the release of a madcap comedy about North Korea that triggered threats from hackers

Princess Charlene of Monaco has revealed that the royal twins born last week were delivered by cesarean section

Monaco prince sues over bar brawl

2012-07-17 15:35
 
pierre casiraghi
New York - Monaco's Prince Pierre Casiraghi, who was punched in the face during a brawl in New York in February, is suing two men and a popular Manhattan nightclub over the incident and seeking unspecified damages.

Casiraghi, third in line to the throne in the principality, filed the complaint on Saturday in civil court in New York saying that he and three other men were attacked by former restaurateur Adam Hock, 47, at The Double Seven club in New York's trendy Meat Packing District.

The 24-year-old prince, whose Mediterranean country is smaller than New York's Central Park, also accused the club and owner Jeffrey Jah of negligence.

Self-defence

The lawsuit seeking compensation comes months after the prince and three of his friends filed criminal complaints against Hock accusing him of hitting them in the face in a fight that erupted in the club in the early morning hours of 18 February.

Casiraghi and the three friends, including Stavros Niarchos, a Greek shipping scion and former boyfriend of hotel heiress Paris Hilton, were drinking with Hock and Jah in the Double Seven's VIP area.

"On Feb. 18, 2012, plaintiffs were assaulted, struck and attacked by defendant Adam Hock," the complaint said. "Plaintiffs did not consent to the physical contact."

Hock's lawyer Sal Strazzullo maintained that Hock had acted in self-defence and that they would respond within a month to the complaint.

"My client was the one who was attacked by three individuals and we're going to stand by those facts," he said. That the prince was filing a civil complaint while the criminal complaints were still pending indicated those allegations were likely to be dismissed, he added.

Defamation charge

The complaint said Hock was obviously drunk and blamed the club and Jah for serving him alcohol.

Jah and representatives for The Double Seven were not immediately available for comment.

The prince accused Hock of defamation for calling him and his friends "drunk entitled guys who felt they deserved the prime table with the most beautiful girls" and saying he and his friends were inappropriately touching and "grabbing" women.

He also lodged a defamation charge against Strazzullo for allegedly saying the prince and his entourage had struck first.

Casiraghi, who lives in Italy, did not state how much he was seeking in compensatory and punitive damages.

He is the son of Princess Caroline of Monaco and her second husband, who was killed in a boating accident when Pierre Casiraghi was a young child. He is also the grandson of the late Hollywood actress Grace Kelly.


- Reuters

Read more on:    grace kelly  |  new york  |  royals

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
3 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
 

Recent News

South African born actor and family member of anti-apartheid activist Helen Suzman, Dame Janet Suzman, made headlines this week with a controversial racial remark. Read More »

Police in Los Angeles have opened an official inquiry into sexual assault allegations against Bill Cosby. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.