London - A new inquest into the death of troubled British singer Amy Winehouse will be held in January after it emerged that the original coroner was not qualified for the job, an official said Monday.
The Grammy award-winner was found dead at her north London home in July 2011 following years of drug and alcohol addiction. She was 27.
At an inquest in October 2011, coroner Suzanne Greenaway delivered a verdict of death by misadventure after hearing that Winehouse was more than five times over the drink-drive limit when she died.
But Greenaway resigned from her job a month later when an investigation revealed that she did not have the requisite experience for the role.
Greenaway, who had previously worked as a lawyer in Australia, was appointed to the job by her husband, Andrew Reid, who was coroner for inner north London, in July 2009.
Under British law she would have required five years' experience as a qualified medical or legal practitioner in Britain to become a coroner - neither of which she had.
Reid, who was suspended earlier this year, resigned from his position last week after the Office for Judicial Complaints launched disciplinary proceedings against him.
A new hearing into Winehouse's death will be held at St Pancras Coroner's Court on 8 January, said a spokesperson for the Camden Council local authority, adding that the hearing was scheduled to last no more than an hour-and-a-half.
A spokesperson for the singer's family said they did not ask for the second inquest and expect the verdict to remain the same.
"The family were happy with the way the original inquest was conducted and did not request it to be reheard," he said.
"This seems to be a matter of procedure and the verdict is not expected to change."
The initial inquest in London heard that the "Back to Black" singer was poisoned by alcohol when she suddenly drank heavily after abstaining for three weeks.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
Prominent actors, writers and thinkers joined a "Stop Hate Dump Trump" campaign to denounce the Republican presidential frontrunner. Read More »
Princess Charlene seemingly charmed Pope Francis during a private call on the pontiff at the Vatican along with her husband, Prince Albert II of Monaco Read More »
New local act.
Our epic night.
East RandUbuntuR30 000 - R35 000 Per Month
GautengUBUNTUR7 000 - R10 000 Per Month
Western CapeUbuntu recruitmentR15 000 - R20 000 Per Month
Apartments / FlatsR 12 500 000
HousesR 4 990 000
HousesR 499 000