Comedian Jimmy Carr has blamed Reeva Steenkamp for her own death in shocking joke he made during the Q Awards!

Viral video of the day: Shia LaBeouf the cannibal who lives in the woods and kill people for sport! Watch it here!

Prince Harry moved to safety during attack

2012-09-18 07:25
 
Prince Harry Afghanistan
London - Prince Harry was moved under guard to a secure location during a Taliban attack on Camp Bastion, the base where he is deployed in Afghanistan, Britain's defence minister has said.

Two US Marines were killed and unprecedented material damage caused when attackers armed with guns, rockets and suicide vests stormed the NATO base in Helmand province last Friday.

"Additional security arrangements" are in place to protect Britain's third in line to the throne on his second tour of duty in the country, Philip Hammond told BBC's Newsnight on Monday when questioned about the assault.

"Clearly there are fall-back plans and I can't go into the detail of them - but once we knew on Friday night that the perimeter at Bastion had been breached he would have been moved to a secure position under effective guard," he said.

'Additional security arrangements'

The prince was about two kilometres away with other Apache crew members when the heavily defended NATO base was attacked, but was not in danger, according to Hammond.

He said that while the 28-year-old royal is "no more or less exposed than any other Apache pilot" in combat, he remains under close protection.

"He is serving there as an ordinary officer but clearly there are additional security arrangements in place that recognise that he could be a target himself specifically as a result of who he is," Hammond added.

'Nothing to do with the prince'

Although the Taliban have vowed to kill Prince Harry, one of its spokesperson’s told AFP that Friday's assault "had nothing to do with the prince".

The attack was the first in a wave of violence at the weekend which also saw six NATO soldiers - two of them British - killed in suspected shootings by Afghan police.

The deaths took to 51 the number of Western soldiers killed by their Afghan colleagues since the start of the year, in a growing trend that jeopardises NATO plans to train local forces to take over when they leave.

Earlier Hammond moved to assure British lawmakers that the surge in attacks would not derail Britain's operations in Afghanistan, where some 9 500 British troops are deployed.

"Our strategy is clear. We are mentoring and training the Afghan army and police to deliver security to their own people," he told Britain's House of Commons.

"We cannot and we will not allow the process to be derailed," he added.

- AFP

Read more on:    prince harry  |  afghanistan  |  celebrities  |  royals

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
24 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
 

Recent News

British comedian, Jimmy Carr, made a highly controversial joke while presenting an award at the Q Awards in London. Read More »

Photobomb beat vape, preload and al desko to become 2014 Word of the Year, Collins English Dictionary has said. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.