Prince Harry returns from charity trip

2013-08-19 15:15
 
prince harry
London - Britain's Prince Harry has returned from Angola, where he visited a landmine clearance charity championed by his late mother, Princess Diana.

The HALO Trust charity said on Saturday the 28-year-old prince visited the Angolan town of Cuito Cuanavale, which saw heavy fighting during the southern African nation's 1975-2002 civil war.

The group said Harry toured minefields and met beneficiaries of the group's work.

Harry was following in the footsteps of Diana, who visited minefields in Angola in 1997 and drew global attention to the charity's efforts to clear them.

Kensington Palace said in a statement that Harry was pleased to see the progress HALO had made and that he was keen to continue supporting its work.

The prince visited minefields with HALO in Mozambique in 2010.

The group said that it began clearing mines in Cuito Cuanavale about three years after the end of Angola's civil war, and that it has so far located and destroyed more than 21 300 mines.

The charity, founded in Afghanistan in 1988, now works in countries including Cambodia, Laos and Zimbabwe.

Read more on:    prince harry  |  royals  |  celebrities

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
NEXT ON CHANNELX
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.