Sony Pictures cancelled the release of a madcap comedy about North Korea that triggered threats from hackers

Princess Charlene of Monaco has revealed that the royal twins born last week were delivered by cesarean section

Royal pranksters to speak out on Aus TV

2012-12-10 07:18
 
Sydney - The two presenters who made a prank call to a London hospital treating Prince William's wife Kate are set to break their silence on Monday in a "raw and emotional" interview with Australian television.

Mel Greig and Michael Christian, from Sydney radio station 2Day FM, have been in hiding and undergoing counselling since their hoax sparked global outrage following the death of the nurse who fielded their call.

Australia's Nine Network said it would air an interview with the pair at 18:30 (07:30 GMT) on its news discussion programme A Current Affair.

"First interview with the #2dayfm djs just recorded with @TracyGrimshaw. It's raw & emotional. The full uncut interview at 6.30 tonight," the network said on Twitter.

Host Grimshaw added: "Let me say clearly that our interview with the 2Day FM hosts for tonight's A Current Affair was NOT paid for. Neither asked nor offered."

Commercial rival the Seven Network said it had also interviewed Greig and Christian and would broadcast its piece at the same time.

"On #TodayTonight at 6:30. #2DayFM pranksters tell all on the Royal hoax that went horribly wrong & how their lives have changed forever," Seven tweeted.

'Blood on their hands'

The hoax call, with Greig and Christian posing as Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles, was taken by mother-of-two Jacintha Saldanha, 46, at London's King Edward VII Hospital.

With no receptionist on duty early in the morning, she put them through to a colleague who divulged details of the pregnant Kate's recovery from severe morning sickness.

Indian-born Saldanha was subsequently found dead, believed to have taken her own life, although British police have refused to confirm that ahead of an inquest.

The nurse's death has sparked uproar in the British media and online, with some accusing the Australian hosts of having blood on their hands.

The station's owners have vowed to co-operate with any investigations, but said that nobody could have reasonably foreseen the consequences of what the hospital says was an "appalling" hoax.

- SAPA

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
8 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
 

Recent News

South African born actor and family member of anti-apartheid activist Helen Suzman, Dame Janet Suzman, made headlines this week with a controversial racial remark. Read More »

Police in Los Angeles have opened an official inquiry into sexual assault allegations against Bill Cosby. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.