New York - A stuntman who claims he suffered a concussion, whiplash and two holes in his knees while performing as the comic book hero in Broadway's Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark has asked producers to turn over any relevant information as he weighs pursuing a negligence lawsuit.
The stuntman, Richard Kobak, claims in a series of papers filed earlier this year in state Supreme Court that he suffered the leg injuries in 2010 while filling in for another injured stuntman at the most expensive show in Broadway history.
He alleges that the rigging he used for the show's aerial acrobatics wasn't recalibrated for him and, as a result, he made 70 hard landings on stage during performances and rehearsals. He says the hard landings created a 1.4mm hole in his right knee and a 9mm hole in his left knee.
He also alleges that a computer programme controlling one of his jumps from a balcony sent him flying into a wall on 5 April 2011. He says he suffered two herniated discs, whiplash and a concussion.
In a statement released late on Wednesday, Rick Miramontez, a spokesperson for the producers, said: "The producers have no comment on the matter except to wish Mr Kobak, who is currently in the American Idiot tour, well."
During the production's rocky start, several accidents marred performances. One actor, Christopher Tierney, suffered a fractured skull, a fractured shoulder blade, four broken ribs and three broken vertebrae during a fall on 20 December 20 2010; he made a triumphant return to the show. A lead actress, Natalie Mendoza, suffered a concussion during the first preview performance and left the show, which has been a huge box office draw since its doors opened.
Hardly the only legal headache
Kobak's court papers seek memos, emails or any other evidence about the computer programme and the equipment, copies of accident reports prepared by producers and any other relevant papers to "determine if there is a viable claim".
The filings are hardly the only legal headache the producers face. In November, fired director Julie Taymor slapped the producers - led by Michael Cohl and Jeremiah J Harris - as well as Glen Berger, her former co-book writer, with a federal copyright infringement lawsuit, alleging they violated her creative rights and haven't compensated her for the work she put into the $75m show.
In January, the producers filed a counterclaim asserting the copyright claims are baseless.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
The Duchess of Cambridge has revealed how her daughter, Princess Charlotte, has inherited the British royal family's love of horses. Read More »
Prince William and Kate expressed their gratitude for the warm welcome they received from Canadians as they wrapped up their eight-day tour with their young children. Read More »
10 epic pics.
All the deets.
South AfricaCity Press
Johannesburg CBDResourcing Solutions
HousesR 2 495 000
HousesR 3 300 000
HousesR 1 985 000