Comedian Jimmy Carr has blamed Reeva Steenkamp for her own death in shocking joke he made during the Q Awards!

Viral video of the day: Shia LaBeouf the cannibal who lives in the woods and kill people for sport! Watch it here!

Star Wars studio lays off games staff

2013-04-04 08:43
 
Star Wars
Los Angeles - Star Wars studio Lucasfilm is laying off all but a few staff at its video games division LucasArts, and cancelling two projects it was working on, the company said on Wednesday.

The Hollywood Reporter said some 150 staff will lose their jobs at LucasArts, founded in 1982 by George Lucas and which has produced games based on the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises in its three-decade history.

Its only two current projects were Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313, which the industry journal said could survive as licensed or outsourced games or be shuttered completely.

'Layoffs across the organisation'

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model," said LucasFilm, which was bought by entertainment giant Disney for $4bn last year.

This would have the effect of "minimising the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," it added in a statement.

"As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organisation. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles," it added.

150 figure 'not correct'

A LucasFilm spokesperson, Miles Perkins, declined to confirm how many jobs will be cut, while saying the widely reported 150 figure "is not correct", adding that a "small team will be left to manage external partners.

"Both current Star Wars games projects have been halted," he told AFP.

LucasArts has facilities in San Francisco and Singapore, its website says, adding that the firm was "dedicated to delivering deeply immersive, visually spectacular and engaging experiences that inspire and amaze generations".

The Walt Disney Co announced last October that it was buying Lucasfilm for $4bn, and plans to revive the classic sci-fi series starting with a new movie in 2015.

- AFP

Read more on:    lucasfilm  |  star wars  |  movies  |  games

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
3 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
 

Recent News

British comedian, Jimmy Carr, made a highly controversial joke while presenting an award at the Q Awards in London. Read More »

Photobomb beat vape, preload and al desko to become 2014 Word of the Year, Collins English Dictionary has said. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.