London – While the world waits with bated breath for the second royal baby to make its appearance a superbug has closed a ward at the St Mary’s hospital.
The Duchess of Cambridge’s due date for the fourth in line to the throne was on 25 April, and she is expected to be admitted to the Lindo Wing in the coming days.
According to a report by The Independent a screening of eight patients for a microorganism, and subsequent infection has shut down a surgical ward at the hospital.
8 patients have been identified as carrying Carbapenemase producing enterobacteriaceae (CPE).
According to Public Health England, CPE is the name given to a group of bacteria that have become very resistant to antibiotics including those called carbapenems.
Senior staff at the hospital have said they are working with Public Health England and are screening patients on the Zachary Cope ward.
Royal fans have already started camping outside the hospital in the hopes of catching a glimpse of the latest royal to be born.
Earlier on Sunday Prime Minister David Cameron defended the royal couple's choice of private treatment at the Lindo Wing over public care offered by the National Health Service, AP reported. Asked on TV if the royal couple's decision was disappointing, Cameron said he supports peoples' right to choose treatment options.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
The Duchess of Cambridge has revealed how her daughter, Princess Charlotte, has inherited the British royal family's love of horses. Read More »
Prince William and Kate expressed their gratitude for the warm welcome they received from Canadians as they wrapped up their eight-day tour with their young children. Read More »
10 epic pics.
All the deets.
South AfricaCity Press
Johannesburg CBDResourcing Solutions
HousesR 1 750 000
HousesR 3 300 000
HousesR 2 495 000