Johannesburg - Fourteen of the 16 Generations actors fired from the popular soapie after a labour dispute last year, have made their final court bid to take the new series off air.
In their application filed at the South Gauteng High Court on Thursday, the Generations Actors Guild say the new Generations The Legacy is “unconstitutional” and “invalid”, as procurement regulations were flouted.
However, the names of two of the old soapie’s principal actors - Sophie Ndaba and Winnie Ntshaba - were left off the list of applicants in papers filed by lawyer Bulelani Mzamo.
There were no accompanying affidavits from the popular stars.
Ndaba and Ntshaba’s legal representative, Advocate Nkateko Maluleke, confirmed that the duo were no longer part of the "Generations 16", due to contractual obligations.
“Secondly, they have other business interests. But they still strongly believe in the objectives of the 14 other actors,” said Maluleke.
In the court application against Generations creator Mfundi Vundla’s company and the SABC, the 14 actors say the SABC violated procurement prescripts contained in the Constitution by commissioning a new show while there were still contracts in place for the previous show, which were only set to expire in December 2016.
They added that, whenever a public entity wished to procure services, “it must do so in accordance with a procedure that is fair, competitive, cost effective, transparent and equitable”, which they claim was not the case.
“The production and broadcasting of Generations The Legacy will also have to be cancelled, since the parties involved in its commissioning flaunted every procurement guideline that should have been adhered to,” Mzamo said on Saturday.
“These agreements cost more than R60m of the taxpayers’ money per annum – and to cancel them midway at the slightest provocation is just unconscionable.”
According to Vundla, this is “old news” and the actors “must get a life and move on”.
“We have a very different story line. We are not going back,” said Vundla.
SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago was unavailable for comment on Saturday.
The drama around the popular local soapie began last August when 16 actors went on strike demanding better salaries. As a result, Vundla’s MMSV Productions terminated their contracts.
Since then, many of the actors have moved on with their careers, joining new prime time shows on other channels, including e.tv and Mzansi Magic – proving there is indeed life after Generations.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
SABC is getting its very first locally produced telenovela, Keeping Score. Read More »
What's good on the box this week? City Press' Grethe Kemp gives you the scoop on what to watch on TV this week. Read More »
10 epic pics.
All the deets.
South AfricaCity Press
Johannesburg CBDResourcing Solutions
HousesR 2 495 000
HousesR 7 200 000
HousesR 1 200 000