MAMAs 2016: The winners of the annual MTV Africa Music Awards were announced during a glitzy ceremony

Meet Iain Thomas, the 36-year-old South African poet who is famous all over the world except in SA

Candidates chosen for controversial one-way Mars reality TV show

2014-01-03 13:19

The Hague - More than 1 000 candidates - from 200 000 hopefuls - have been chosen to train for a private Mars colonisation mission to be partly funded by a reality-TV show following their training and subsequent steps, organisers said on Thursday.

They are to be whittled down to just 24, who will be sent over six launches starting in 2024, according to Mars One, the Dutch-based non-profit group behind the audacious endeavour.

The only catch is that the space-bound settlers will be on a one-way ticket to the Red Planet which lies a minimum 55m kilometres - six months' travel - from Earth.

Costs are too high to contemplate a return trip.

Emigrants to another planet

Mars One said the selected 1 058 would-be emigrants to Mars, from 140 countries, were informed on 30 December 30 they were the lucky few deemed to meet the criteria -- including an "indomitable spirit", "good judgement", "a good sense of play", disease- and drug-free, English-speaking - to be interplanetary pioneers.

"The challenge with 200 000 applicants is separating those who we feel are physically and mentally adept to become human ambassadors on Mars from those who are obviously taking the mission much less seriously. We even had a couple of applicants submit their videos in the nude," said organisation co-founder Bas Landsdorp.

The group's chief medical officer, Norbert Kraft, said the candidates will now be called in for "rigorous simulations, many in team settings, with focus on testing (their) physical and emotional capabilities" over the next two years.

Reality TV

The candidates will now be narrowed down in a number of phases starting this year. Mars One said that process was caught up in "ongoing negotiations" with media companies over television rights.

The organisers announced last month it signed a $250 000-contract with US group Lockheed Martin Space Systems to build a concept landing module that would be sent in a 2018 unmanned test flight.

It hopes to add more sponsors and partners to its roster to help cover the six-billion-dollar cost of its plan, which would see self-sufficient living modules shot off to Mars.

Key to that is an interactive reality-TV programme built around the project in which the audience decides which candidates make the cut for the one-way mission, and which stay behind on Earth.

Cameras are also to follow the settlement of Mars as those it calls "a new generation of heroes" conduct experiments and work out how to live long and happy lives in airlocked pods, growing their own food, far from their native planet, in a new habitat with a thin, unbreathable atmosphere and sub-zero average temperatures.

Crowdfunding - appealing for public donations, mainly through the Internet - is also meant to finance the task of turning the entrepreneurial dream into reality.

Mars One counts a Dutch 1999 Nobel Physics prize-winner, Gerard 't Hoofd, among its supporters.

Many Mars mission failures

But there are many sceptics, too. The chief engineer of the US-government run NASA, Brian Muirhead, reportedly said last April that a commercial venture to colonise Mars is "way beyond our capability to do today". NASA's plan is to put an astronaut on the dry planet in a couple of decades.

So far, NASA, the Soviet Union and the European Space Agency are the only one to have made unmanned missions to Mars - more than half of which have been unsuccessful. Only NASA has landed robots on the surface.

A Chinese probe launched in 2011 was declared lost and burned up in a re-entry into Earth's atmosphere nearly a year ago. India on December 1 flung its own Mars orbiter into space, aiming to reach Earth's neighbour in September this year.

Read more on:    tv  |  celebrities  |  mars publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Recent News

Although a new contract will definitely be concluded for 7de Laan, uncertainty remains over whether it will be broadcast on Monday since Hlaudi Motsoeneng first wants to meet with the producers. Read More »

SABC is getting its very first locally produced telenovela, Keeping Score. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.