In partnership with

Meet Iain Thomas, the 36-year-old South African poet who is famous all over the world except in SA

Trevor Noah has pulled out at the last minute from hosting the MAMAs 2016, due to 'a severe upper respiratory infection'

Cosby Show actress the latest to accuse Bill Cosby of assault

2015-02-09 17:00

Boston — A former fashion model and actress who appeared on one episode of The Cosby Show in 1988 is the latest woman to accuse Bill Cosby of making unwanted sexual advances.

Helen Gumpel, formerly known as Helen Selby, said on Sunday that Cosby made sexual advances and lewd gestures toward her while she was on the set of the show.

She said she was called to the show's set for what she thought was another audition shortly after filming the one episode. She said she was brought to Cosby's dressing room and Cosby had her sit on a couch and handed her a drink. She said Cosby then stood in front of her with his crotch in her face.

"I never thought of myself as a victim because I refused his advances," Gumpel said. "But my career was a victim."

Cosby's lawyer Marty Singer did not immediately respond to an e-mail message seeking comment. The 77-year-old entertainer faces sexual assault accusations from at least 15 women. He denies the allegations and has never been charged with a crime.

Gumpel, who lives in Connecticut with her husband, made the allegations at a news conference she held at a downtown Boston hotel hours after Cosby cancelled back-to-back comedy shows scheduled that evening at the nearby Wilbur Theatre. Demonstrators had threatened to protest outside the theatre.

Cosby, who has a home in western Massachusetts, said in a statement that he cancelled the shows because of winter weather forecasts. The New England forecast called for a winter storm with nearly 2 feet of snow in the Boston area through Tuesday.

Since the accusations emerged last year, some of Cosby's performances elsewhere have drawn heckling and protests and some have been canceled.

The Wilbur Theatre announced on its website on Sunday morning that the shows were cancelled but did not say why. It apologised for the abrupt change and said tickets would be refunded.

Read more on:    bill cosby  |  celebrities
NEXT ON CHANNEL24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Recent News

What's good on the box this week? City Press' Grethe Kemp gives you the scoop on what to watch on TV this week. Read More »

M-Net's Halloween treat

2016-10-22 08:00

M-Net 101, M-Net Edge 102 and Vuzu Amp 103 will be opened to DStv Compact and Extra customers for the weekend of 28 to 30 October 2016. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.