Los Angeles - Will Mellor is in the running to be the new host of Top Gear.
The 39-year-old actor has emerged as a new favourite to replace the fired Jeremy Clarkson on the motoring show as BBC bosses think he is someone the programme's audience would relate to and could attract a younger audience to the show as well as more women.
Will is said to be very interested in taking the job and isn't put off by the pressure of replacing Clarkson.
A source exclusively told BANG Showbiz: "Will has emerged as one of the favourites for the job. Bosses think he would be perfect to take the helm and would bring a younger audience with him that has grown up with him on Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps and Hollyoaks. He also has a lot of female admirers who could tune in, which is something that Clarkson didn't have."
Will has worked with the BBC for years on various sitcoms and dramas, most recently appearing in baby drama In the Club opposite Jill Halfpenny, and is highly regarded by the corporation.
Other stars that have been linked to Clarkson's old job include Chris Evans and Sue Perkins - both of whom have ruled themselves out of the running - Johnny Vaughan, Dan Walker, John Bishop and Jodie Kidd.
Meanwhile, Clarkson's co-star James May has confessed he thinks it will be "virtually impossible" for Top Gear to continue without Clarkson while executive producer Andy Wilman has resigned from his position sparking speculation Clarkson, May, Richard Hammond and Wilman are going to launch their own rival show.
May said previously: "Me and [Richard] Hammond with a surrogate Jeremy is a non-starter, it just wouldn't work ... It has to be the three of us. I don't think you could carry on with two people and put someone in as the new Jeremy because they are not going to be the new Jeremy. That would be short sighted and I don't think it would work. Virtually impossible."
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
Although a new contract will definitely be concluded for 7de Laan, uncertainty remains over whether it will be broadcast on Monday since Hlaudi Motsoeneng first wants to meet with the producers. Read More »
SABC is getting its very first locally produced telenovela, Keeping Score. Read More »
10 epic pics.
All the deets.
South AfricaCity Press
Johannesburg CBDResourcing Solutions
HousesR 6 900 000
HousesR 1 200 000
HousesR 3 220 000