Trevor Noah has pulled out at the last minute from hosting the MAMAs 2016, due to 'a severe upper respiratory infection'

MultiChoice announced that it will be lowering monthly DStv subscription fees in several African countries

Generations: The gays stay

2013-07-12 10:07
Cape Town – South Africa's biggest and most watched TV show says its "gay characters are not going anywhere" and is rubbishing claims that the fired minister of communications Dina Pule ordered the SABC and the influential weekday soap to "tone down" the gay storylines.

Generations says there's no truth to circulating rumours that Pule allegedly "ordered" an end to the antics of the characters of the young gay advertising executives Senzo (Thami Mngqolo) and Jason (Xolisa Xaluva) who are now married, and says that the SABC was not told to tone down the gay storylines.

"Nobody has said anything to us and those characters are definitely not going anywhere. Fans must keep watching and can look forward to very interesting storylines," Generations told Channel24.

"We're still proceeding with their story and telling the story which has originally been there," a well-placed Generations insider source said.

'Story is ongoing and will keep evolving'

"The gay couple is still there. If the rumours were true, what does that say to people who are gay? That they're not supposed to be allowed to exist or have a story? Generations started a story of a gay couple a while back and that story is ongoing and will keep evolving."

Insiders said the soap, which pulls in roughly 8 million viewers per episode on SABC1, is already in September production wise and nothing has changed in relation to the specific characters or their storylines.

The SABC earlier in the week referred media enquiries seeking clarity of whether the minister gave such an order to the SABC board and Generations to the department of communications.

The departmental spokesperson for the department of communications who used to speak on behalf of Pule however didn't respond to e-mails and calls seeking comment.

On Tuesday president Jacob Zuma announced that Pule has been fired and is being replaced by Yunus Carrim as the new minister of communications.

Read more on:    sabc1  |  sabc  |  generations  |  tv
NEXT ON CHANNEL24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Recent News

A source told Channel24 that the SABC won’t see another episode of 7de Laan if there’s no signed contract by Monday. Read More »

Icasa has set a date for a public hearing into's controversial application to get its broadcasting licence conditions changed. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.