Johannesburg - The ANC has requested the ministries of communication and labour to intervene in the dispute between dismissed Generations actors and their employers, the party said on Tuesday.
"For its part, the ANC has requested the intervention of the ministers of communications and labour in the dispute," spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said in a statement.
"To this end, comrade [Communications Minister] Faith Muthambi will be meeting with the SABC to understand the circumstances surrounding the dismissal of these workers."
The SABC announced on Monday that 16 actors from the soapie who had embarked on a strike had been fired.According to Sunday World, the SABC rejected the actors’ pay increases which it deems “astronomical”, increasing the wages of long-serving actors form R16 000 to R30 000 per week.
The announcement drew heavy criticism as viewers took to social media to express their dissatisfaction with the SABC and the production company, MMSV.
The national broadcaster's spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said the termination followed a call for the actors to return for recordings.
The cast claimed that the broadcaster as well as the production company had failed to deliver on promises it made to them during their strike last year.
The cast was reportedly promised three-year contracts which they had not received.
They also wanted salary adjustments.
On Monday, the actors wrote an open letter to viewers and fans explaining why they embarked on a strike.
The ANC said South Africa was proud of having progressive labour relations regime which sought to protect and promote the rights of workers.
"We thus call for a speedy and amicable resolution of the current impasse between the two parties in the interest of fair labour practice based on mutual respect for each other's crafts and imperatives."
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.
Martha Stewart and Snoop Dogg gave a taste of their new cooking show on Ellen, and it's everything. Read More »
Los Angeles police are investigating an attack in which Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was vandalised. Read More »
10 epic pics.
All the deets.
South AfricaCity Press
Johannesburg CBDResourcing Solutions
HousesR 6 500 000
HousesR 6 900 000
HousesR 6 850 000