In partnership with

Meet Iain Thomas, the 36-year-old South African poet who is famous all over the world except in SA

Trevor Noah has pulled out at the last minute from hosting the MAMAs 2016, due to 'a severe upper respiratory infection'

Generations producer: The soap will go on with or without these people

2014-08-19 08:38

Cape Town – "There were other actors before and there will be other actors in the future. Generations will go on," said Mfundi Vundla, executive producer of Generations after MMSV Productions and the SABC fired the Generations cast on Monday.

During the first strike of Generations actors last year, Mfundi Vundla threatened the soap stars and told them that "nobody is bigger than Generations". On Monday, Vundla went on Radio 702 after firing the actors and said: "That’s it! Finish and klaar. It's a termination, it's finished."

"We won't be taking them back. We are running a business here and there has to be some resolve. We have to bring some certainty to the production. It's final. This is the final decision we've made."

The Generations cast went on strike last week, for the same unresolved reasons as 10 months ago in October 2013, saying little to nothing has been done about the promised three year contracts, better contracts and back payments for rebroadcasts and international sales of Generations.

"We have plans to continue with Generations," said Vundla. "The actors found Generations and there will still be a Generations in the future for more new actors. Generations will go on, with or without these people. The fact that we've gotten rid of these people doesn't mean it's the demise of the series."

Generations will however run out of episodes at the end of September when an on-air change awaits.

"We have episodes up until about October. So we have a few weeks to look for a new cast, we will do what we have to do," said Vundla. "We are professionals and we will do what we have to do to ensure Generations will go on."

Read more on:    mfundi vundla  |  generations  |  tv  |  soapie

M-Net's Halloween treat

2016-10-22 08:00 publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Recent News

M-Net's Halloween treat

2016-10-22 08:00

M-Net 101, M-Net Edge 102 and Vuzu Amp 103 will be opened to DStv Compact and Extra customers for the weekend of 28 to 30 October 2016. Read More »

We had a quick chat with Penny Rider about taking that all important first star baker award in the new season of SA Bake Off. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.