M-Net officially turns 30 years old today – celebrating three decades of bringing viewers across the African continent premium TV content

Reeva Steenkamp's best friend finally breaks her silence with beautiful tribute on Instagram

Generations stars speak out

2014-08-26 15:14

Johannesburg –  Generations’ 16 fired cast members broke their silence during an interview in Johannesburg on Tuesday.

The actors all dressed in black and white called a press conference "to tell the truth".

The briefing came a day after the actors met with Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa, who said he was willing to find a solution to the firing of the actors.

Former Generations star Patrick Shai said over the past week so much has been said about the Generations cast which is not true.

“This is not a struggle for us as actors to lead a luxurious life… but a struggle to recognise SABC refusal to transform,” he said.

Shai became an actor not for the fame, but “to make a change in my life”.

“I’m allergic to poverty and had to do something to change.”

According to reports Generations actors work on a three years contract, with some earning at least R55 000 a month.

Shai said there was “something strange about the SABC” because there were no negotiating with them.

He said the cast did not receive medical aid. “We will not work in environment that doesn’t pay for medical aid,” an angry Shai said.

The actors would embark on a bold move to start a union Shai said, to create a legacy for themselves and future actors.

“The landscape needs to change… we are not motivated by greed, but rather a chance to create a legacy.”

Shaid said it was also time that the SABC be held accountable for what they do and the money they make.

“The SABC must realise this is not their money, it’s public funds and they must account.”

Sophia Ndaba, who has been with Generations for the past 20 years, is well known for her role as “Queen Ndaba”.

She said the gag by Generations actors was a collective decision as they all felt the same about making a change.

“We are not happy. We are not doing this to sabotage something we love so much, but what’s wrong is wrong and what’s right is right.”

The SABC announced last week that 16 actors who had embarked on a strike had been fired.

At the time the national broadcaster's spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said the termination followed a call for the actors to return for recordings.

The cast claimed the broadcaster and production company had failed to deliver on promises made to them during their strike last year.

The cast was reportedly promised three-year contracts which they had not received. They also wanted salary adjustments.

The actors who have been fired include Menzi Ngubane, who plays the character of ruthless businessman Sbusiso Dlomo, Nambitha Mpumlwana (Mawande), Patrick Shai (Patrick Tlaole), Sophie Ndaba (Queen Ndaba), Seputla Sebogodi (Kenneth Mashaba), Winnie Ntshaba (Khetiwe Buthelezi), and Katlego Danke (Dineo Dlomo).

Read more on:    sabc  |  generations  |  johannesburg  |  soapies  |  tv

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Recent News

Check out our handy soapie guide to see what is happening in your favourite TV show. Read More »

M-Net officially turns 30 years old today – celebrating three decades of bringing viewers across the African continent premium TV content. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.