MAMAs 2016: The winners of the annual MTV Africa Music Awards were announced during a glitzy ceremony

Meet Iain Thomas, the 36-year-old South African poet who is famous all over the world except in SA

Minister to the rescue of Generations

2014-08-20 21:35

Johannesburg - Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa said on Wednesday he is willing to help find a solution to the firing of some of the soap opera Generations' actors.

"We are willing to engage with all the relevant people to help find a speedy and amicable resolution to this matter," he said in a statement.

"We are deeply concerned about these developments and hope that SABC management, the production company and worker representatives will work together to reach a speedy resolution to this matter."

He said the department had always supported calls for the formation of a strong creative workers' representative body to look after the interests of the artists.

The SABC announced on Monday that 16 actors who had embarked on a strike had been fired. The national broadcaster's spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said the termination followed a call for the actors to return for recordings.

The cast claimed the broadcaster and production company had failed to deliver on promises made to them during their strike last year.

The cast was reportedly promised three-year contracts which they had not received. They also wanted salary adjustments.

The actors who have been fired include Menzi Ngubane, who plays the character of ruthless businessman Sbusiso Dlomo, Nambitha Mpumlwana (Mawande), Patrick Shai (Patrick Tlaole), Sophie Ndaba (Queen Ndaba), Seputla Sebogodi (Kenneth Mashaba), Winnie Ntshaba (Khetiwe Buthelezi), and Katlego Danke (Dineo Dlomo).

Read more on:    nathi mtethwa  |  johannesburg  |  tv publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Recent News

Although a new contract will definitely be concluded for 7de Laan, uncertainty remains over whether it will be broadcast on Monday since Hlaudi Motsoeneng first wants to meet with the producers. Read More »

SABC is getting its very first locally produced telenovela, Keeping Score. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.