Check out our Q&A with Idris Elba about losing his father, getting lost in a character and Arsenal!

Kylie Jenner said 'yes' when asked if she'd marry Tyga, despite speculation they had split

Saftas slam for withdrawing

2012-03-05 17:05
Cape Town - The National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF), which organises the South African Film and Television Awards (Saftas), immediately entered the fray after announced that the broadcaster is pulling all of its shows and soaps from the controversial awards ceremony.

Moments after officially announced that the broadcaster is dumping its involvement with the Saftas, and pulling its presenters, shows and soaps from the awards ceremony, the Saftas fired back, critising's participation as having been "considerably low" anyway.

Crisis mode

The beleaguered awards show - boycotted in the past by SABC1's Generations, SABC2's 7de Laan, and with M-Net and reluctant to enter in the past, thereby giving the ceremony legitimacy - is now in crisis mode with the two-day ceremony to take place on Friday and Saturday at Gallagher Estate.

SABC3, which was set to broadcast the show live after it was not screened on TV last year, had to settle for a recorded show on Sunday after the NFVF moved the Saftas dates forward.

Insiders within South Africa's TV industry say has concerns regarding the judging and process.'s withdrawal comes after SABC2's flagship drama 7de Laan was discovered to not be eligible for the Best Soap category, voted for by the public, because the show didn't enter any of the other categories (like Best Actor/Actress). 

'Shock and surprise'

Eddie Mbalo, the chairperson of the Saftas and also the interim CEO of the pay TV operator TopTV, called's withdrawal "definitely a blow to the entire film and television industry".

Mbalo slammed saying, "Maybe if the broadcasters were playing their part and even contributing towards funding of the Saftas, the withdrawal would not be at the drop of the hat as is the case at the moment".

The NFVF didn't say what would be happening to categories in which shows and soaps are nominated. The Best Soap category will now also limp along, with the loss of two more soaps after the withdrawal of 7de Laan.

"The withdrawal by comes as a shock and surprise," said Mbalo. 

With too little time for the organisers to find replacements in categories, the Saftas says the ceremony will "continue to recognise those individuals that have already been judged and nominated as the feeling is that they deserve the recognition".
Read more on:    etv  |  saftas  |  tv  |  7de laan publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Recent News

eNCA and says filmmaker Rehad Desai can drop “a free copy” of his International Emmy winning documentary Miners Shot Down and eNCA will show it. Read More »

We had a quick chat with Dot Dicks about her win, the Bake Off experience and what’s next for her baking career. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.