In partnership with

MAMAs 2016: The winners of the annual MTV Africa Music Awards were announced during a glitzy ceremony

Meet Iain Thomas, the 36-year-old South African poet who is famous all over the world except in SA

Simon Cowell lowers X Factor audition age to 14

2014-04-04 21:00
Simon Cowell

Los Angeles  -  Simon Cowell has lowered the X Factor audition age to 14.

The music mogul has found young stars have been incredibly successful following their debut on the ITV singing contest, including the likes of One Direction and Cher Lloyd, and consequently he wants to broaden the boundary to help find the next talented musician.

The last time the age limit was 14 was in 2008 after which it was put up to 16, where it has stood until the forthcoming series.

A source told The Sun newspaper: ''Simon knows that young people make the best pop stars. He desperately wants another One Direction or Cher Lloyd, and they were very young when they appeared on the show.''

Simon will be on the judges panel alongside Cheryl Cole who was enticed to join the show because she's keen to find talent to match those who appeared on the last series she appeared on in 2010.

Simon previously said: ''You know why she came back ... we were having a conversation at my house and we were talking about the talent we had that final year in 2010 - One Direction, Rebecca Ferguson, Cher Lloyd, Matt Cardle - we just had great people, and we just suddenly thought we want to do it all over again. And that was the incentive to do it because there are still great people in this country left.''

This year's first open audition will takes place at Dublin's Convention Centre on April 5.

Read more on:    simon cowell  |  tv  |  x factor  |  music publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Recent News

Although a new contract will definitely be concluded for 7de Laan, uncertainty remains over whether it will be broadcast on Monday since Hlaudi Motsoeneng first wants to meet with the producers. Read More »

SABC is getting its very first locally produced telenovela, Keeping Score. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.