Stricter TV rules after Survivor deaths

2013-04-04 15:08
 
survivor koh lanta
Paris - France's broadcast regulator says it's taking steps to tighten safety rules for TV reality shows, following two deaths on the French version of adventure show Survivor.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Higher Broadcasting Council expressed deep sadness over the death last month of 25-year-old contestant Gerald Babin and Monday's suicide of on-screen doctor Thierry Costa who treated him.

It said that it will consult with French TV stations in the coming weeks to find ways to further "respect human dignity" on such shows, and reexamine the current rules.

The council also reminded TV producers of the need to exercise "the greatest prudence when recruiting contestants".

It also expresses "wishes that participants get medical and psychological help during filming and for several months afterwards".

Read more on:    france  |  survivor  |  tv

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
2 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
NEXT ON CHANNELX
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.