Meet Iain Thomas, the 36-year-old South African poet who is famous all over the world except in SA

Trevor Noah has pulled out at the last minute from hosting the MAMAs 2016, due to 'a severe upper respiratory infection'

Stuart Hall admits 14 indecent assaults

2013-05-03 11:03
stuart hall
London - Veteran BBC sportscaster Stuart Hall pleaded guilty to 14 indecent assaults on underage girls, including one who was just 9 years old, prompting the broadcaster on Thursday to drop him for his "sickening" behaviour.

The 83-year-old, who had been arrested in January for questioning about alleged crimes committed between 1967 and 1986, had earlier denied any wrongdoing.

Hall admitted his guilt in court in mid-April, but the information couldn't be made public for legal reasons until Thursday, when reporting restrictions on the case were lifted.

The guilty plea prompted the BBC to say it was "appalled" by his actions and to say he would "no longer be contracted" as a broadcaster.

'Sorry for what he has done'

BBC human resources director Lucy Adams told BBC Radio that the allegations against Hall were "sickening" and had shaken the broadcaster to its core.

"These historical allegations are clearly very, very damaging and are very saddening, primarily for the victims," she said.

She was referring not only to Hall's case, but to earlier revelations that the late BBC presenter Jimmy Savile was a serial child sex abuser whose crimes went unpunished during his lifetime.

Hall's lawyer Crispin Aylett said Hall is "sorry for what he has done" and wishes to apologise to his victims.

"He is only too aware his disgrace is complete," Aylett said.

'Strikingly similar accounts'

Prosecutor Nazir Afzal said Hall was "an opportunistic predator" who was prosecuted because "the evidence of the victims clearly established a pattern of behaviour that was unlawful and for which no innocent explanation could be offered".

He said the victims didn't know each other and that nearly two decades separated the first and last assaults. He said all the victims, including a 9-year-old girl, "provided strikingly similar accounts".

The prosecutor said one victim who claimed to have been raped by Hall decided not to give evidence in the case in light of the guilty pleas that Hall had already entered.

"We have concluded that it would not be in the public interest to take steps to make her give evidence in court," Afzal said. "As such, we will not be proceeding with this charge."

Hall is one of several well-known entertainment and media figures charged with sex crimes committed decades ago.

He will be sentenced on 17 June.

NEXT ON CHANNEL24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Recent News

We had a quick chat with Penny Rider about taking that all important first star baker award in the new season of SA Bake Off. Read More »

A source told Channel24 that the SABC won’t see another episode of 7de Laan if there’s no signed contract by Monday. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.