Joan Rivers' doctors are worried she may end up in a vegetative state or in a 'wheelchair'

Cee Lo Green has deleted his Twitter account after tweeting some controversial views on rape

TopTV ready for porn hearing

2013-03-13 13:51
 
TopTV

Johannesburg - An application by TopTV to broadcast three pornography channels will be heard by the Independent Communications Authority of SA (Icasa) on Thursday, the pay-television operator said.

"TopTV are gearing themselves to present their case," it said in a statement on Wednesday.

"TopTV hopes to launch a bouquet of three subscription-based channels that will offer South African viewers a choice to view adult entertainment... in the privacy of their homes."

It argued that South Africans had the constitutional right to choose what they watched, and it argued that adult content was freely available on the internet, without any protection for children.

TopTV previously applied to Icasa to air the porn channels, but received no response for two months. It then decided to go ahead without Icasa's permission.

Icasa then made an urgent application to the High Court in Johannesburg, which ruled that TopTV could not broadcast the channels until Icasa had made a decision.

In December 2011, Christian organisations, including the Evangelical Alliance of SA and the Methodist Church of SA, planned a boycott of TopTV, its advertisers and sponsors, after the move was announced.

Family Policy Institute director Errol Naidoo said the broadcast of hardcore pornography on television degraded women and exposed children to harmful content.

- SAPA

Read more on:    icasa  |  toptv  |  pornography  |  tv

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
33 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
 

Recent News

A Massive fire has engulfed M-Net's Big Brother Africa Hotshots house, leading to the immediate cancellation of the start of the the upcoming 9th season of the pan-African voyeur reality show Read More »

Downton Abbey bosses were banned from staging a blazing fire at Highclere Castle for scenes from the upcoming first episode of the fifth series. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.