In partnership with

Meet Iain Thomas, the 36-year-old South African poet who is famous all over the world except in SA

Trevor Noah has pulled out at the last minute from hosting the MAMAs 2016, due to 'a severe upper respiratory infection'

Wal-Mart drops Paula Deen after TV tears

2013-06-27 16:08
Paula Deen
New York - Celebrity chef Paula Deen was dropped by Wal-Mart and her name was stripped from four buffet restaurants on Wednesday, hours after she went on television and tearfully defended herself amid the mounting fallout over her admission of using a racial slur.

The story has become both a day-by-day struggle by a successful businesswoman from the US South to keep her career afloat and a lesson on the level of tolerance in society for being caught making an offensive remark.

During a deposition in a discrimination lawsuit filed by an ex-employee, the chef, who specialises in Southern comfort food, admitted to using the N-word in the past. The lawsuit also accuses Deen of using the slur when planning her brother's 2007 wedding, saying she wanted black servers in white coats, shorts and bow ties for a "Southern plantation-style wedding."

Backlash against the Food Network

Deen said she didn't recall using the word "plantation" when planning her brother's wedding and denied using the N-word to describe waiters. She said she quickly dismissed the idea of having all black servers.

The controversy exploded last week when the details from her deposition in the discrimination lawsuit became public.

On Wednesday, Wal-Mart Stores said it ended its relationship with Deen and will not place "any new orders beyond what's already committed."

Caesars Entertainment said it had been "mutually decided" with Deen to remove her name from its restaurants in Joliet, Illinois; Tunica, Mississippi; Cherokee, North Carolina; and Elizabeth, Indiana.

At the same time, Deen's representatives released letters of support from nine companies that do business with the chef and promised to continue. There's evidence that a backlash is growing against the Food Network, which tersely announced last Friday that it was cutting ties with one of its stars.

The Rev Jesse Jackson said Deen had called him and he agreed to help her, saying she shouldn't become a sacrificial lamb over the issue of racial intolerance.

'She can change'

"What she did was wrong, but she can change," Jackson said.

Deen told Matt Lauer on Today on Wednesday that she could only recall using the N-word once. She said she remembered using it when retelling a story about when she was held at gunpoint by a robber who was black while working as a bank teller in the 1980s in Georgia.

In the deposition, she said she may also have used the slur when recalling conversations between black employees at her restaurants. Asked in the deposition if she had used the word more than once, she said, "I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time."

In her Today show appearance, Deen told Lauer she was heartbroken by the controversy and she wasn't a racist.

"I've had to hold friends in my arms while they've sobbed because they know what's been said about me is not true and I'm having to comfort them," she said.

Looking distressed and with her voice breaking, Deen said if there was someone in the audience who had never said something they wished they could take back, "please pick up that stone and throw it as hard at my head so it kills me. I want to meet you. I want to meet you." It's an apparent reference to the Biblical passage about whether a woman guilty of adultery should be stoned: "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her."

'I is what I is'

"I is what I is and I'm not changing," Deen said. "There's someone evil out there that saw what I worked for and wanted it."

An uncomfortable Lauer tried to end the interview, but Deen repeated that anyone who hasn't sinned should attack her.

Deen said she appreciated fans who have expressed anger at the Food Network for dropping her, but said she didn't support a boycott of the network. Through social media, the network has been attacked by people who said executives there acted in haste to get rid of Deen.

Save for the brief announcement late on Friday that it wasn't renewing Deen's contract, Food Network executives have refused to discuss the case publicly, or say whether the network plans to address Deen's fans.

Read more on:    food network  |  wal-mart  |  us  |  tv  |  celebrities

M-Net's Halloween treat

2016-10-22 08:00 publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Recent News

M-Net's Halloween treat

2016-10-22 08:00

M-Net 101, M-Net Edge 102 and Vuzu Amp 103 will be opened to DStv Compact and Extra customers for the weekend of 28 to 30 October 2016. Read More »

We had a quick chat with Penny Rider about taking that all important first star baker award in the new season of SA Bake Off. Read More »

inside channel 24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.